govt registration of home made boats?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

govt registration of home made boats?

Post by LesForgue »

Looking at the published State of Illinois requirements and instructions, it seems as though I will need to register my canoe with the state, but in the forms to be filled out there is no provision for a boat one has hand made, only for purchased boats.
I could not get a straight answer about this by contacting the state with my question.

Just wondering, any canoe or other boat builders on the forum who have reigstered/deeded their boat(s) with their own state or province (especially Illinois)?

(If you should have and did not, this public forum might not be the best place to say so. :wink: )
Les Richard Forgue
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: govt registration of home made boats?

Post by tx river rat »

In Texas you only have to register if they have power on them, Trolling motor or gas powered.
Ron
LesForgue

Post by LesForgue »

Thanks for the reply, Ron.

I am glad we have your (sore) shoulder to lean on for questions we have about boat building and usage.
Les Richard Forgue
lilmoe
Type of boat I like: buccaneer

Post by lilmoe »

In your neighbor state, Iowa, they have some funny registration rules concerning sizes, power, use etc. A paddle craft over 13' is supposed to be rigistered, and they will issue a Hull Identification Number to affix to the boat. Mine were listed a "homemade", rather than the Handcrafted I asked for, and I had to prduce receipts for the materials, so they could be sure that they got "their" share of the sales tax. I think I had a better idea of the requirements than the office people did, but it got done. They had a small booklet with most of the regs in it. Good Luck!!
LesForgue

Post by LesForgue »

Thanks Lilmoe,
some say Les is more, but I say Moe is More.
Les Richard Forgue