Inspection Port

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Inspection Port

Post by rodot »

In my Quetico, I dont really need storage access in the front compartment but I was planning to put a small inspection port in the bulkhead. If I use the #2 frame as a bulkhead, it would probably be too far forward to gain access to the inspection port. The #3 frame being too far aft. My question is. Is it wise to fit some kind of inspection port or can I just get away without one? Perhaps it is best if I just make up a bulkhead positioned somewhere between the two frames.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Inspection Port

Post by jem »

Well that's kind of a toss up.

If you intend to pack items inside the chamber, then you need to use #3 and put as big of hatch in there as possible. There should be several inches of space between your feet and the #3 bulkhead.

If you want something just for flotation, the #2 will get it done but like you said, hard to reach any hatch. Having some ventilation in any sealed chamber is a good idea.

But I had experimental canoe that had an empty sealed chamber that sat out in the elements for years. I had to finally chop it up and when I did, not moisture or signs of rot in the wood in that area.

Is a small twist out hatch through the deck out of the question?
-Matt. Designer.
rodot

Post by rodot »

Thanks Matt

When I was looking at the hull sitting on the saw horses there didn't seem to be enough leg room with the bulkhead at the position of the third frame. If there is however, I will definately put the bulkhead there with some kind of screw in inspection port in it. I won't need the storage but I would like to be able to keep an eye on things.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

There's 46" of space between #3 and the back of the cockpit. Hopefully your legs aren't longer! :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
rodot

Post by rodot »

There's 46" of space between #3 and the back of the cockpit. Hopefully your legs aren't longer!
I think maybe I should of had a closer look before I made this post :oops: :oops: :oops:
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico