Maintenance time for the Sabalo

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Maintenance time for the Sabalo

Post by goanywhere »

Since building the 'goanywhere' Sabalo I have surely put her through her paces. I've paddled and sailed all over the state, including a sailing trip down the famous (locally at least) Coorong lagoon at the mouth of the Murray (http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=55472). But it's time for some maintenance. I found a small crack up forward where my mast step is fixed to the hull, just a small one but enough to let a fair amount of water in over a fishing session. I don't know how it happened. It could be from hitting the beach a bit hard, or from stresses caused from sailing. But no matter, I am going to reinforce the mast step and apply another strip of glass along the hull to beef things up there.

I have inflicted a few scratches and dings in the paintwork, and the varnish I used is flaking off badly in spots, but structurally it is very sound.

Thanks to those who encouraged me to take my time and apply those extra coats of epoxy on the inside. After many occasions where I was carting seawater in bulk, there is no sign of deterioration of seams anywhere.

After a good workout I can truly say the Sabalo is a remarkable yak. Very versatile, rugged and suitable for a wide range of activities. It excels as a fishing yak in all conditions, but tours really well with lots of storage space, and fitted with my outriggers and sail it can venture into some challenging conditions without fear.

Well done Matt and co. for designing this amazing craft! With a bit of a makeover I am looking forward to an even better season coming up. :D
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Maintenance time for the Sabalo

Post by jem »

Great to hear!

I've thought about doing a "Sabalo 2.0" but tough to justify changing anything with so many positive reports.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Ok, I've started the maintenance on the Sabalo. I've patched a crack I found up forward (I reckon I hit a rock pretty hard on landing a few weeks ago), recoated some scratches on the hull that went through to the wood, and touched up some scratches and dings on the sides. Now I'm starting on recoating the varnish.

I've decided to just do the finishing coat with epoxy and leave it at that. I store the yak under cover and I trialled a section early this year and there's absolutely no deterioration of the finish. The polyester varnish (single pack) I used just flaked off, so I'm not going there again.

Just one thing. I have sanded back most of the varnish but in some patches it isn't coming off. I guess some areas the adhesion was pretty good. If I persist with sanding it all off I'm worried I might go through the glass on the adjacent areas and go down to the wood. Do you think it's safe to leave it at that and epoxy over the top, or would you give it a very thorough sand and re-glass the areas that were heavily sanded? That would be a bigger job and more expense.

The area that I trialled was the same and there's no sign of 'bubbles' under the epoxy, so I think it will be safe to just give it a moderate sand to get the flaky bits off.

Another thing. I do find that water does get into the sealed areas of the hull even though there are bulkheads that should keep the water out. I have installed bungs in these sections so I can tip the water out, but I'm amazed it gets in there to start with. After re-sealing the hatches properly and fixing the small crack I found I think this will help alot, but I'm surprised it gets in those areas to start with.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

goanywhere wrote:
Just one thing. I have sanded back most of the varnish but in some patches it isn't coming off. I guess some areas the adhesion was pretty good. If I persist with sanding it all off I'm worried I might go through the glass on the adjacent areas and go down to the wood. Do you think it's safe to leave it at that and epoxy over the top, or would you give it a very thorough sand and re-glass the areas that were heavily sanded? That would be a bigger job and more expense.
The varnish needs to come off. Are you sure it's varnish and not wear some epoxy may have puddled up a little?

That's odd you are still getting water in. You might have a tiny crack somewhere. Keep vigilant.... you will find it.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

jem wrote:The varnish needs to come off. Are you sure it's varnish and not wear some epoxy may have puddled up a little?

That's odd you are still getting water in. You might have a tiny crack somewhere. Keep vigilant.... you will find it.
I think some of the loose flaky stuff may be epoxy but it's hard to tell. Anyway I'll sand it all thoroughly to get rid of any shiny bits and then the new coat will key properly. I'll also wipe it over with acetone to make sure it's a clean surface. That should take care of it.

Regarding the water getting in. I think most of it gets in through the hatches. I'm going to seal them this time with a sikaflex bead before I screw them down into place. That should stop the water washing under them. I have been using closed-cell foam rings and I don't think that's good enough. That should eliminate all but the worst of any wash that comes over the bow. Apart from the crack I fixed I have been getting much less water in now than at first, and I will deal with it bit by bit until I have it conquered! It might not be possible to totally eliminate any water getting in but a bit that spills in when the hatches are opened isn't too much of an issue.