JEM Watercraft

JEM Watercraft

Customer Service Forum
Direct Links To: Canoe Plans  --  Kayak Plans  --  Other Plans
 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Different types of epoxy question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:27 pm
Posts: 5
I will able to get couple gallon of epoxy/hardener that use to create fiberglass oil pipes that to be use on the ocean floor for cheap.
It has 4-1 ratio and has to heat to around 155F before mixing.
Will I run into any problem using this epoxy for my kayak? If I am going to do a test on a small piece of ply-board, what should I look for?

Thanks,

jdzz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Different types of epoxy question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:07 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:14 pm
Posts: 4855
Location: Greensboro, NC
I wouldn't use it. It will smell bad and how are you going to maintain 155 degrees?

_________________
-Matt. Designer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Different types of epoxy question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:57 am
Posts: 304
Location: Tassie, Australia
jem wrote:
I wouldn't use it. It will smell bad and how are you going to maintain 155 degrees?


& work with it without burning your self?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Different types of epoxy question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:12 am
Posts: 192
Location: S.E. Queensland
Run a hot bath and work underwater. Just like building ships in bottles only wetter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Different types of epoxy question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:32 am 
Offline
Design Reviewer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:08 am
Posts: 1271
Location: Somewhere around Central Florida
jdzz wrote:
I will able to get couple gallon of epoxy/hardener that use to create fiberglass oil pipes that to be use on the ocean floor for cheap.
It has 4-1 ratio and has to heat to around 155F before mixing.
Will I run into any problem using this epoxy for my kayak? If I am going to do a test on a small piece of ply-board, what should I look for?

Thanks,

jdzz


It sounds like you would be working with a nightmare of epoxy. The cheep stuff would cost you a boat before you are done.
It's better to use some epoxy made for wood boats and spend a little more then you will have a boat you could use and not just a pile of scrap wood that can sit on the ocean floor.

Chuck.

_________________
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Different types of epoxy question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:14 pm
Posts: 4855
Location: Greensboro, NC
jdzz wrote:

... has to heat to around 155F before mixing.


I'm a little puzzled by that. Did you mean it won't cure until hitting 155f?

In either case, like Chuck said, it doesn't sound like it will be builder friendly. It would be worth getting something from RAKA.com or uscomposites.com

_________________
-Matt. Designer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Different types of epoxy question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:27 pm
Posts: 5
jem wrote:
jdzz wrote:

... has to heat to around 155F before mixing.


I'm a little puzzled by that. Did you mean it won't cure until hitting 155f?

In either case, like Chuck said, it doesn't sound like it will be builder friendly. It would be worth getting something from RAKA.com or uscomposites.com


Sorry for the confusion. Basically, the instruction to mix the epoxy and the hardener is to bring both up to 155 degrees Fahrenheit before mixing the two together. For simplicity, I think I will go with Raka or uscomposites.com

Thanks,

Jdzz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Different types of epoxy question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:27 pm
Posts: 5
In case you wonder what those epoxy are using for: :D

http://www.aquaeitaliana.it/wp-content/ ... _fpi_1.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Different types of epoxy question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:14 pm
Posts: 4855
Location: Greensboro, NC
wow! I bet it's special formulated for that application.

_________________
-Matt. Designer.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum