JEM Watercraft

JEM Watercraft

Customer Service Forum
Direct Links To: Canoe Plans  --  Kayak Plans  --  Other Plans

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DK 18' modification
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:26 pm 

Hello. I'm new to the forum as well as boat building in general and would like some advice. I'm looking to shorten the 18' canoe to about 15'-16'. Its going to be primarily a solo boat and I would rather it be a little shorter. Ill also like to use a double paddle and may make a few mods later to facilitate that but ill save that for a later post. My question today is, am i better off chopping or shrinking? By that I mean, would it be better to simply chop 15" from each end, 30" from the middle or scale down every measurement roughly 15%, including stations and sheet size? I'm also wondering if anyone who has spent a fair amount of time paddling the boat could speculate on how it will handle if it were two feet shorter.

Thanks for the knowledge.

Post subject: Re: DK 18' modification
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Why not just build the DK15?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:55 pm 

Thanks for your reply Matt. I appreciate the help. I looked at the 15' daytripper on the DK site, is that the one your talking about? I was a little confused if that was the same boat as the 18' on your site (only shorter) or if it is a different design. It didn't look like the same boat in it's picture but maybe I was mistaken. I like the 18' hull on your site and will eventually use the boat to tour the Puget Sound area and want a suitable craft. There needs to be the possibility for two people plus gear but it will be a solo boat 90% of the time. 18' just seemed really big for a solo boat.

If the daytripper is the same hull design could I just scale the 18' down by 15% and get the same boat? I don't want to sound like a cheapskate but I have plenty of experience working with wood as well as fiberglassing and don't really need all of the construction manuals that come with DK's download for $50 & would rather spend my limited funds on materials if I could, which is why I chose your free plans. That said, I would gladly pay for plans for a boat if it would suit my needs better and be a better fit for me. Maybe you could let me know If I'm on the right track and if not maybe recommend a boat better for my needs:
-I'm 6', 260, a sometimes second paddler would weigh less than 160lbs and I would probably never exceed 50 lbs of gear. So I would carry between 250 and 300 most of the time but would occasionally ask 450-500 of the boat.
-I would primarily paddle large freshwater lakes or the straights of the puget sound, which is usually very calm (and when it's not I won't be paddling :) Say 10 kt winds and less than two foot swells, most of which will be ship/ferry wakes.
-I'm a novice paddler, not a complete noob but new to touring and paddling big water.
-I would like to be able to use a double blade paddle so a slightly narrower beam would be nice, or slightly lower gunnel at the aft/center solo paddle position.
-Whichever boat I build I would like to add decked cargo holds at the bow and stern, possibly watertight with hatch covers so the boat will be slightly heavier than originally designed.

I know this is a lot and I must sound like I'm looking for the perfect boat for free (wouldn't that be great!) but I understand that isn't possible. I am looking for a boat that fits my needs though and for the least amount spent as possible, which is why I haven't bought a boat for a couple thousand bucks yet and am bothering you guys instead :)

I am open to suggestion and can make concessions I just don't know where I should make those concessions yet...Thanks for your insight. I appreciate your help and knowledge.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Morten Oleson of http://www.boatplans.dk is a friend of mine. I sell some of his plans and he helps me with projects.

Morten designed both the 15 and 18 versions. If you'd like a customized version, he can help you but it will not be for free.

There's a few free simple skiff plans out there if you look around. They will be 3-panel boats intended mostly for flat water.

The only design I have (not free) that I think would fit your program is the Stalker:

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=Stalker14-34