s-glass

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
stripper
Type of boat I like: canoes

s-glass

Post by stripper »

I am about to close the football on my Northwind hull--as a stripper. I am looking at fiberglass options. I want to use my boat for tripping, like 1 + week trips, with some inevitable portages. I want to go lightweight but also need strength as I tend to bang up my boats--all my other canoes are royalex and have lots of scratches and dents. I am over 60 years and I know that should not make any difference but, alas, I don't like to pack as much weight as I did when I was 20 something. So all that to say I want to go light weight but want as much strength as I can reasonably expect in a clear-coat layup.

This is not a small boat. It is my first stripper. I have read about s-glass, that it is 25 - 30% stronger than e-glass. I also read that it is not as easy to work with as e-glass, maybe does not finish out as clear? I am thinking maybe go with 4 oz overall and an extra layer of the same on the football outside and around the cockpit inside. So does anyone have any experience with it and have advice?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: s-glass

Post by jem »

S-glass take a little extra effort to work with as it's a little stiffer than e-glass. But at 4 ounces, it's should be pretty pliable.
-Matt. Designer.