Varnish Suggestions

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
BigMal
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15-32

Varnish Suggestions

Post by BigMal »

I'm in the process of finishing my kayak and am trying to find a suitable varnish.
I'm sure there are not many New Zealander's on here and the brands are likely to be different ... so what spec's should I be looking for?
"Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone" Bruce McLaren
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Varnish Suggestions

Post by OnkaBob »

I just use a single pack exterior polyurethane. There are a couple of brands in hardware stores here and I'd be suprised if they or something similar is not available in NZ.

The one I still have some of is Cabots exterior clear gloss. It has "Marine grade" in small lettering on the front of the can and another brand I've seen has something similar on it (just can't remember the brand name now).

I did my Laker with it early in 2009 and it is still fine and although I only have about 50 hours logged in it I still think it has done well. I actually put some on a wooden gate handle that was outside for about 3 years and when I took the gate/fence down a few months ago it looked like new.

These are not top of the line marine products but they perform well for this type of craft and are not as expensive.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
BigMal
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15-32

Re: Varnish Suggestions

Post by BigMal »

Thanks Bob.
Cabots exterior clear is what I was looking at but wasn't sure if it would be right for the job.
"Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone" Bruce McLaren