FIRST TIME BUILDER--NEED ADVICE

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
waterdog

FIRST TIME BUILDER--NEED ADVICE

Post by waterdog »

I AM NEW TO THIS. I USUALLY FISH FROM A 14 ' ALUMINUM JON. BUT I WANT TO BUILD THE IROQUOIS SOLO CANOE. I WILL BE USING IT IN SW VA IN THE NEW RIVER ( RATHER ROCKY IN SPOTS) I WILL NOT BE SHOOTING RAPIDS BY ANY MEANS, NOTHING OVER A CLASS 2 SET OF SHOALS. IS THIS BOAT STURDY ENOUGH FOR THAT, SHOULD I FG THE BOTTOM FOR EXTRA PROTECTION FROM ROCKS??? I DONT WANT TO BUILD SOMETHING JUST TO GET IT DEMOLISHED THE FIRST TIME OUT. I AM PRETTY GOOD WITH THE JON BOAT ONLY SCRAPING THE BOTTOM ON OCCASION, BUT THAT CANT BE HELPED IN THE RIVER I FISH IN. PLEASE ADVISE
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Iroquois is a nice first time project.

I'd definately consider portaging around rapids rather than run through them. A properly built wood and fiberglass canoe is very durable. But to make it double-tough, there's a couple things you can do:

1) Fiberglassing the outside and even double fiberglass taping the major scrape areas.

2) Apply graphite like discussed ihere: http://jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134

3) add some runners to the bottom and even the sides. These can be made of simple strips of thin plywood and glued on over the scrape areas. They will take the brunt of any hard impact. If they get scraped up, just sand them a bit, fill in any deep scars, and you're done.

You can see how drift boat guys add the side plywood strips to help protect the hull.

If it were me, I'd build the boat with taping the seams inside and out at a minimum (you can decide if you want to cover the entire inside and out with fiberglass depending on the type and thickness of wood). Then I'd cover the bottom and chine areas with an additional layer of cloth.

Then, before painting or varnishing, so long as everything is sealed well with epoxy, I'd take it out and run the boat through it's paces to see exactly how much bumping and grinding the hull can take. You'll find it can take quite a bit. The hull will have to painted or varnished, but taking it out a couple times before that is not an issue.

Then, I'd finally decide if wanted to add some runners or just do the the graphite trick. I can almost say for certain the graphite coating is all you'd need.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Waterdog,

Matt's advice is sound. I'm (perhaps) a bit more conservative on building boats, and more aggressive in using them. I glass inside and out. Makes a very tough hull - one that will withstand being caught on top of a sharp rock and pivoting in the current. Also withstands going over logs or beaver dams fully loaded.

Graphite on the bottom will make it harder, and resist gouging, and slicker to slide off rocks and through seaweed and lilly pads.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Waterdog, welcome to the forum mate. :D

My 2 cents worth for what that is worth is that I believe you can make a boat as sturdy as you want it to be. The iroquois looks a fine boat to me and should have no problems with the uses you have in mind.

If you have concerns re damaging the bottom etc, it is no bit deal to put an extra layer of fibreglass mat on. Like Jack, I epoxy and glass fully inside and out and this makes for a very tough boat.

Have a go mate, You wont regret it. There is nothing like a wooden boat that you build yourself. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

hairymick wrote:... Have a go mate, You wont regret it. There is nothing like a wooden boat that you build yourself. :D
Well .... there is something I like better. But Matt won't allow discussion on his family oriented site. So, boats will have to do.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.