Sabolo questions

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Fishcarver
Type of boat I like: Sabalo

Sabolo questions

Post by Fishcarver »

I'm going to start a build on the Sabolo 15 so I have been pouring over the plans and reviewing all the forum builds and I have a number of questions.

1. There are several frames in this called temp frames. Are these frames glued into the hull or are they only in there to help form the hull and then pulled out? At least one of them look like they stay in place which would not make them temporary. I also don't see from your diagrams where the bow temp frame is used, there is no reference to it.

2. On page 18 you have a picture of a board with two holes in it that you have put cleats on. What is that board? Since it's flat it couldn't possibly be the hull, especially since it has a big hole in it.

3. I noticed on some of the builds there are large holes drilled out of the frame pieces. Should I be drilling these out?

4. Some of the builds have a foot brace inset. This doesn't look like it is in the plans. Should I put that in?

5. Is the deck just glued on with spacers and if you use spacers how do you get tape behind there?

6. I noticed a number of people glassing the inside of the hull. The plan doesn't seem to call for it. What parts need to have cloth fiberglass applied? Should the cockpit be fiberglassed?

Brace yourself this is just the beginning of the questions.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Sabolo questions

Post by jem »

1. Temp frames are temporary. Only there to shape hull before gluing.

2. That's the cockpit floor with a hole cut for a hatch.

3. it help take a little weight out of the kayak and allow air flow when out of the water and your hatches open. Reduces condensation.

4. Foot brace insert was something done custom by builders. It's up to you.

5. Deck is glued onto a cleat that is glued to hull panels.

6. If you're not using marine grade ply, glass everything. If you are, I'd glass in the interior of hull bottom panels. At least 3 coats of epoxy on everything else.
-Matt. Designer.
Fishcarver

Post by Fishcarver »

Matt

Thanks for the quick response. After studying the diagrams and instructions the process is falling into place. hope you won't get tired of hearing out of me for the next few months. This is going to be fun I already can't wait to get this thing in the water.
Fishcarver

Post by Fishcarver »

Matt

Could you tell me how thick the spacers should be when you stitch the hull and if I use the quarter round on the frame do I need to use the fiberglass tape?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

spacers are just an option if your plywood doesn't want to behave. They should be as thin as possible.

If you use quarter rounds on the frames you don't need the tape. But be 100% sure you prep the bond area properly. Sand, solvent wipe, let dry, then glue.
-Matt. Designer.
Fishcarver

Post by Fishcarver »

So then is it alright if you have wood on wood when I stich up the sides?

I'm off and running everything cut and the frame assembled. I found it the easiest to slap two plywood sheets together and cut two identical pairs at once. Hit the edges with the belt sander and they are smooth as silk and the perfect shape.