Handles on Sabalo

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Fishcarver
Type of boat I like: Sabalo

Handles on Sabalo

Post by Fishcarver »

Matt
What is the best way to attach handles to the bow and the stern on top of the decks and on the two sides at the fulcrum of the Sabalo? I'm trying to figure out how best to reinforce these areas so they won't pull out in time.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Handles on Sabalo

Post by jem »

Bow and stern: You mean like install bow eye? Or on top of deck.

The side grab handles are tougher because of the sabalo design. I saw one builder install a closet rod in a cut out of the cockpit side wall. I'll have to try and find that picture. It's in a build log somewhere.

Alternative would be to glue on a couple extra layers of plywood and use some heavy wood screws to mount.
-Matt. Designer.
Fishcarver

Post by Fishcarver »

Yes I was looking at installing the rubber handles you can buy to the top of the decks. I'm thinking I would put an extra layer of plywood there and use wood screws. If you look at the pictures of the Sabalo you have you can see one of them on the top of the front deck.
Whiskeysmoke
Type of boat I like: SOT Kayaks

Post by Whiskeysmoke »

Check out BEMM 52 Sabalo Build. That is where the integrated handle idea is illustrated. I am considering doing something similar on my Sabalo.
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

Fishcarver wrote:Yes I was looking at installing the rubber handles you can buy to the top of the decks. I'm thinking I would put an extra layer of plywood there and use wood screws. If you look at the pictures of the Sabalo you have you can see one of them on the top of the front deck.

are they literally made of rubber?
I would guess that true natural rubber will disintegtrate before many seasons outdoors in the sun.
Les Richard Forgue
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Post by JayM »

Fishcarver,

If you look at the thread on my Laker build (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3719), about halfway down there is a picture of how I backed up the deck for the handles on top. I used the method for making them from nylon strap that Ron uses. I used stainless fender washers on the inside, and SS finishing washers around the screws on the top. There are a couple of pics on the second page that you can see the handles in. In 3 years they have worked well with no problems carrying the boat with them.

Jay
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

here you go
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3723
Ron
Fishcarver

Post by Fishcarver »

Thanks guys. You all gave me some good ideas. I like the idea of the T nuts since I was concerned about trying to tighten a screw up if I couldn't get in behind there. The handles I have are made for Kayaks. They probably aren't rubber but a nylon webbing with some type of plastic sleeve.