Canoe Selection Question - Trapper it is!

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
FirstinLastout
Type of boat I like: Trapper style canoe.

Canoe Selection Question - Trapper it is!

Post by FirstinLastout »

Hi Folks,

I'm close to pulling the trigger on plans for an open canoe as I'm looking for a canoe that can be used for tandem river/lake & coastal trips with myself and my wife as well as a spot of fishing and general mucking about.

I'm veering towards the Trapper due to liking the traditional lines but have a couple of questions in regards to it.
I was thinking along the lines of the Trapper 15 - 38; I assume that the 38 option offers greater stability & load carrying ability, but are there there other advantages or disadvantages with this over the less beamy options?

Also are more traditional Trapper more effected by wind than say the Sasquatch boats? Anyone got experience piloting both in similarly windy conditions?
Or perhaps I'm just over thinking it altogether....

Thanks!!
Last edited by FirstinLastout on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Canoe Selection Question

Post by jem »

Narrower Trapper will move through water easier and be light. Sasquatch will perform better in water that's a little more choppy and it has a lower wind profile than the Trapper.
-Matt. Designer.
FirstinLastout

Post by FirstinLastout »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.
Going by your response the Sasquatch would probably be the more suitable option as living here in the NW of Ireland there is seldom a wind free day so wind and chop is something we have to put up with.

However might the Trapper be a more stable option than the Sasquatch as a fishing platform?
Am I right in thinking that it also requires 1 less ply sheet (Trap 15-35) than the Sasquatch 16-33?
Less a couple of panels so also a slightly quicker build time??

Thanks Matt for your help!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Correct on both.... more stable and less plywood required.
-Matt. Designer.
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

G'day FirstinLastout and welcome aboard.

I built the Sasquatch 16.5 X33 and it is still my favourite and most versatile boat.
I chose my Sasquatch for river and lake paddling and touring and she performs so well in that environment that I just can't imagine replacing her with any other design. When Mat says that a Trapper will move even easier through the water, then a Trapper must be a very good boat indeed.

In my opinion however, no open canoe is suited well to open water paddling so just a word of caution there.
FirstinLastout

Post by FirstinLastout »

Thanks Mick for your response. Appreciate the advice, and great build btw.

Still looking for a local supplier of marine ply that don't charge an arm and a leg. Generally it's 4-5mm marine ply that's used, yeah?
I can get 6mm marine but I imagine this'll be way too heavy? ?
I can also get 4mm exterior grade ply, with glassing might this be an option? I'd wonder about possible longevity of my craft.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

FirstinLastout wrote:Thanks Mick for your response. Appreciate the advice, and great build btw.

Still looking for a local supplier of marine ply that don't charge an arm and a leg. Generally it's 4-5mm marine ply that's used, yeah?
I can get 6mm marine but I imagine this'll be way too heavy? ?
I can also get 4mm exterior grade ply, with glassing might this be an option? I'd wonder about possible longevity of my craft.
6mm might be too stiff to bend.

the 4mm exterior... if it's from Home Depot or Lowes or similar, not a good idea. The outter veneer is paper thin and the inner plies are made from poplar or something similar which means it's brittle.
-Matt. Designer.
FirstinLastout

Post by FirstinLastout »

Thanks Matt.
Won't be Home depot or similar as they're not over here in Ireland.
FirstinLastout

Post by FirstinLastout »

Well that's that decided then, Trapper 15-35 plans just ordered. :D :D
Looking forward to receiving them and getting stuck in.
Thanks Matt & Mick, with a bit of luck I'll manage to get enough done to start a build thread before too long.
First things first is give the workshop a good tidying and clear some space in it.