Sasquatch 14 thwarts

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Fishcarver
Type of boat I like: Sabalo

Sasquatch 14 thwarts

Post by Fishcarver »

Matt

I have been looking at placing my thwarts for the Sasquatch 14 and would like to place my seat 18 to 20 inches to the rear from center. Wouldn't my seat really act as a second thwart so I would really only need one in the front?
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Re: Sasquatch 14 thwarts

Post by neon14 »

I'm at that point with my sasquatch. Still dont know exactly on seat placement yet. Prolly take it out on the water first. I was only planing on one in front of the seat and one behind. Kind of thinking the seat would be just behind the center a bit because I usually travel lite and would not be taking a lot of gear.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Best thing is to put it in the water and have a friend tell you when it is sitting level and then you know where to put your seat. Usually it is just a back of center and that is where my seat is in my Sasquatch since I paddle it solo.
As far as camping gear it is easy to balance the canoe with the gear.

I used two thwarts in mine , they are placed about half way between the bow and the seat and the stern and the seat.
Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Fishcarver wrote:Matt

I have been looking at placing my thwarts for the Sasquatch 14 and would like to place my seat 18 to 20 inches to the rear from center. Wouldn't my seat really act as a second thwart so I would really only need one in the front?
On the Sasquatch it could but only if it's glued and fiberglassed to the hull. But you still would be better served having a thwart at gunwale level.
-Matt. Designer.
Fishcarver
Type of boat I like: Sabalo

Post by Fishcarver »

The problem with placing the seat to close to the center is when you get a cross breeze you have a hard time turning into the breeze and keeping a straight tack. Using a nice J stroke will keep you going nice and straight on a calm day.