Tape Residue Cleanup Cape Fear Build

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Post Reply
SMilliken
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:28 pm
Type of boat I like: Fishing kayaks
Location: Maryland

Tape Residue Cleanup Cape Fear Build

Post by SMilliken » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:23 pm

I used duct tape to mask my touch up work on the hull seams. Tape was on for about 8 hours but left a lot of residue. Lots of elbow grease got most of it, but there are still a few spots that are troublesome. I've tried acetone and paint thinner (separately) but it's still there. Is there a safe solvent that will get this off or is scraping the only remedy? "Out, out, damned spot!" :|

Thanks!!!

Fishcarver
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:17 am
Type of boat I like: Sabalo

Re: Tape Residue Cleanup Cape Fear Build

Post by Fishcarver » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Try some lighter fluid

OnkaBob
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:12 am
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)
Location: Seaford, South Oz

Re: Tape Residue Cleanup Cape Fear Build

Post by OnkaBob » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:04 pm

The best thing I've found for glue stains is solvent naphtha, also sold as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, white spirit or dry cleaning fluid. These may be slight variations but are essentially similar. The lighter fluid as suggested by Fishcarver may be part of the same family but I'm not sure.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.

LesForgue
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:29 pm
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Tape Residue Cleanup Cape Fear Build

Post by LesForgue » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:28 pm

if you get some naphtha take same precautions you would with gasoline.
Les Richard Forgue

SMilliken
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:28 pm
Type of boat I like: Fishing kayaks
Location: Maryland

Re: Tape Residue Cleanup Cape Fear Build

Post by SMilliken » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks, all. The lighter fluid (and a bit of scraping on the tough spots) did the trick. I wanted to be careful with the solvents in case something got into the uncoated wood that would cause bonding issues with the epoxy. I got the outside seams glassed by Sunday evening- looking a lot more finished already. Will try to post more pics in the builder's log in a day or so. Too much work and not enough boatbuilding.

Post Reply