Tape Residue Cleanup Cape Fear Build

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
SMilliken
Type of boat I like: Fishing kayaks

Tape Residue Cleanup Cape Fear Build

Post by SMilliken »

I used duct tape to mask my touch up work on the hull seams. Tape was on for about 8 hours but left a lot of residue. Lots of elbow grease got most of it, but there are still a few spots that are troublesome. I've tried acetone and paint thinner (separately) but it's still there. Is there a safe solvent that will get this off or is scraping the only remedy? "Out, out, damned spot!" :|

Thanks!!!
Fishcarver
Type of boat I like: Sabalo

Re: Tape Residue Cleanup Cape Fear Build

Post by Fishcarver »

Try some lighter fluid
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

The best thing I've found for glue stains is solvent naphtha, also sold as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, white spirit or dry cleaning fluid. These may be slight variations but are essentially similar. The lighter fluid as suggested by Fishcarver may be part of the same family but I'm not sure.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

if you get some naphtha take same precautions you would with gasoline.
Les Richard Forgue
SMilliken
Type of boat I like: Fishing kayaks

Post by SMilliken »

Thanks, all. The lighter fluid (and a bit of scraping on the tough spots) did the trick. I wanted to be careful with the solvents in case something got into the uncoated wood that would cause bonding issues with the epoxy. I got the outside seams glassed by Sunday evening- looking a lot more finished already. Will try to post more pics in the builder's log in a day or so. Too much work and not enough boatbuilding.