Plywood ?s

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
DrewForge
Type of boat I like: Stalker

Plywood ?s

Post by DrewForge »

Hey guys, new to the forum, getting ready to start my first project. I’ve worked at fabrication shops for many years, done construction, and worked as a gunsmith for many moons, so while I’ve never built a boat per se, I’m confident and quite comfortable with the thought of building one of JEM’s products. My old Mohawk 16’ fiberglass canoe has just been used hard and repaired too many times from probably close to 40 years of service with my father, brother, and I, so it’s time to upgrade the navy – and building my own canoe has always been a “bucket list” item. I was looking at the Stalker pattern, as I like the design, and the feasibility of mounting an outboard is pretty tempting for trolling the many lakes around here in Maine.

I’ll likely have questions as the project progresses, so thanks in advance for any help! I’ve been reading every thread I can in an effort to learn things – I love the fact that everyone is friendly and knowledgeable.

My first question: I’ve found a local source for marine-grade plywood – but which is the best candidate for a canoe? They have Meranti, Fir, Okume, and something that was shortened to “MRN SAPELE AB”…and that was well over $100 a sheet. Gah!

A lil’ help? Many thanks!

-Drew
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Plywood ?s

Post by OnkaBob »

G'day Drew,

With glass both sides you can really build it from any of those listed and a few others as well but okume generally has the best reputation due to its low density. If you can get it for a reasonable price it should be the pick.

Physically check it over before buying if you can - we had a flood of cheap okume from asia hit here several years ago and from all accounts it was rubbish. This advice applies to whatever you buy - I used a construction grade on my laker and while it is still going strong 7 years on it does have voids that are visible under a strong light from the other side.

Good luck with the build, and remember, we like photos :D .
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
DrewForge
Type of boat I like: Stalker

Post by DrewForge »

Thank you!

I've decided to go with a Townsend design, and I'm working with Matt on the feasibility of making it a square-stern to mount a small outboard to. My teenaged son expressed interest in helping me with the build...I'm pretty sure I can hold his attention for the simpler design of the Townsend, but not sure about the more involved Stalker. So we'll get our feet wet (hopefully not literally!) with the Townsend and then I'll build a Stalker for me and let the young'uns have the Townsend.

Okume - check! I'll be sure to check each sheet before I purchase; thank you for the heads up!

I'll definitely post up the pictures; I've been enjoying everyone's picture threads on here so far.
SMilliken
Type of boat I like: Fishing kayaks

Post by SMilliken »

Good choice. Easy to work with, light and strong. Finishes out real nice.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

DrewForge wrote:Thank you!

I've decided to go with a Townsend design, and I'm working with Matt on the feasibility of making it a square-stern to mount a small outboard to. My teenaged son expressed interest in helping me with the build...I'm pretty sure I can hold his attention for the simpler design of the Townsend, but not sure about the more involved Stalker. So we'll get our feet wet (hopefully not literally!) with the Townsend and then I'll build a Stalker for me and let the young'uns have the Townsend.

Okume - check! I'll be sure to check each sheet before I purchase; thank you for the heads up!

I'll definitely post up the pictures; I've been enjoying everyone's picture threads on here so far.
Sent you an idea via email. Tell me what you think.
-Matt. Designer.