Tandem Northwind

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
NWDad
Type of boat I like: DK Touring Canoe

Tandem Northwind

Post by NWDad »

Matt,

I have read that you have been developing a Tandem Northwind. I believe it is around 18' x 30". After reading TRT and Darrell's builds and trip reports I would be interested in building one but I can not find the plans on the website. I originally was going to build the DK Touring Canoe but I like the Northwind better. I have built using plywood an fiberglass before and I know building it would not be problem. It would not be a fast build like some as I do not have a lot of spare time but it would get built. What is drawing me to the Northwind is that you can have the seat higher yet still have covered decks for wind. I live in Western Washington so I would be using it in rivers and lakes. I might use it in the sound but not at first. It would be myself and my wife or daughter. My daughter and I for fishing and my wife and I just paddling around.

Thank you,
Kevin
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Tandem Northwind

Post by jem »

Would this work?

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... thWind17-9

I did draw up a big 18x36 cruiser but it was in wood strip.
-Matt. Designer.
NWDad

Post by NWDad »

I have looked at the Southwind also. What I like about the Northwind is that I can sit alittle higher which would make it easier for me to get in and out of. I have very limited use of my right ankle and lower back problems. I also like that the Southwind is an easier build. The bigger Northwind sounds good except I do not think I am ready to do a stripper. I have been thinking about doing the deck that way but not the hull. How do you think the Southwind would do with two people, myself at 250lbs and another person at 200lbs plus some gear? I also have some concerns about stability and my being able to get in and out of the narrower Southwind.

Thank you,
Kevin
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

You'd be pushing the upper recommended limit. Southwind really wasn't meant to be an adult sized tandem
-Matt. Designer.
NWDad

Post by NWDad »

OK, so any ideas? I am willing to do a stripper, it just means that it will take me longer to build as I will go slower to make sure I get it right. What I like on both of them is the covered decks fore and aft which lessens the affect of wind on the boat.

Thank you for helping me with this.
Kevin
NWDad

Post by NWDad »

Are there other options I am missing? Could the Northwind be stretched some to make it an adult tandem? That would be what I would prefer if possible. You can blame Ron's and Darrells builds and trip reports as I have read all of them many times. Matt, do I need to talk to you off line, would that be better?

Kevin.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Can't stretch a stitch and glue esign. Would have to raw from scratch.
-Matt. Designer.
NWDad

Post by NWDad »

Thanks Matt. I will not be able to build it for a while, at least 6 months so there is no rush. I will keep in contact with you as I get closer to being able to build.

Kevin
NWDad

Post by NWDad »

Still looking and researching. My fishing buddy, my daughter and I were out looking at boats and such at Cabela's last week and she saw a peddle SOT and said now that is one I would like and use. Have you ever designed a tandem SOT equip'd with dual Hobie Drives or similar drives? I thought I saw one on here a while ago but I can not find it now. I am getting closer. Thank you