Okwata vs Southwind 15

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
nodiak
Type of boat I like: Okwata and Southwind

Okwata vs Southwind 15

Post by nodiak »

Hello all, I've been enjoying reading about the jem boats over the last year or so. Feeling ready to order some plans. I have been a carpenter and furniture maker for ~20 years of my adult life so hope to be able to complete a build. Also know a couple nearby surfboard glassers to help me with that stage. Ready to give it a shot!
I have access to a large bay (Humboldt Bay off Eureka, Ca.). There is about 2 hours before and after high tide for easy access from where I live. Gives plenty of time for a nice cruise or some fishing. (Anything longer just needs to end at another spot a couple miles away and load up into a truck).
I think I'm leaning toward the Okwata as it seems efficient and sleek. I don't plan on longer than a daytrip, no overnight ventures now.
My only question is its stability vs the wider Southwind 15. I don't want a longer boat than either of these.
I've read Micks excellent log of building and using his Okwata and got inspired!
Oh, my experience on this beautiful bay has been in canoes. A massive 18.5 foot old, Mad River expedition, my son and I have. And a 15' by 30" solo. I'm looking for more efficiency, better tracking. Don't need tight maneuverability.
Thanks for any input!
Don
Last edited by nodiak on Sun May 15, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Re: Okwata vs Southwind 15

Post by Mick »

G'day Don, and welcome aboard mate.

I have been otherwise busy these last couple of years so my posts here have been less than normal. I built the prototypes Okwata and Southwind 17. Both are superb paddling and fishing boats. I think Southwind 15 X 30 would suit your needs even better.

Okwata is a brilliant kayak, but like all kayaks, you are limited by space and access to your gear if you are fishing from it. Having said that, it is stable, fast and maneuverable and an excellent boat from which to fight and land serious fish.

SOUTHWIND 15 x 30 should offer all of the above with improved stability and being a decked canoe, will be more user friendly when it comes to placement of and accress to all the bits and pieces one needs when fishing. I really like the concept of the more open cockpit and increased load capacity of this boat.
nodiak

Post by nodiak »

Thanks for the reply Mick. I think what you point out about the Southwind 15' being more utilitarian makes sense. Always tough to decide these things at a distance.
Another big issue for me is to have good tracking characteristics. Especially my solo canoe needed a lot of corrective strokes. I'm mostly in open water trying to make somewhat efficient distance. Feeling a lower centered craft will help in the wind we get sometimes too.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Yes, its always a trade off. Southwind 17 - 9 is more like a kayak in that regard. Long and lean with a low wind signature and tracked beautfully. I think the 15' version might be a bit higher but should still track very well. Much better than a traditional canoe.

I fish a open bay now when i am at home and wind is always a problem. Okwata handles it easily but so does my Southwind. A bit more food for thought, have a look at Matt's Cape Fear or the Lake Crruiser. I think both of these designs would work well and they are much simpler builds.
nodiak

Post by nodiak »

Over the last few days I found time to look over the designs you mentioned. Laker series does look simpler and quicker to build. Cape Fear seemed somewhat similar to Southwind 15 , with less panels so also a bit easier.
If I felt I had time to build 2 boats would possibly go for a simpler design. But right now think the Southwind 15 would be worth the extra effort. It's passed the Okwata up in my mind now because of its versatility. Thanks for pointing that out.
I'll be away for a week and hope to get things rolling when I get back. Also found I can get 4mm Okoume locally which is helpful.
nodiak

Post by nodiak »

Ordered the South Wind 15 plans :)
Mick

Post by Mick »

Good job ! You are going to love that boat.
nodiak

Post by nodiak »

I think so too! Looking forward to getting the plans and materials this coming week. Hope to make time to get to work asap!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

nodiak wrote:I think so too! Looking forward to getting the plans and materials this coming week. Hope to make time to get to work asap!
I was slow getting them shipped but they are on the way.
-Matt. Designer.
nodiak

Post by nodiak »

Thanks Matt!