Best of All Hobbies?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Best of All Hobbies?

Post by Kayak Jack »

Being a member of both this and the Southern Paddlers Net, I read a lot of posts by (A) gentlemen (B) geezers (C) harmless old codgers (D) young dudes who are engaged in - or thinking about - building their own boats. Since Popular Mechanix and several other publications have carried plans for boats for well over a half century now, we are not riding the cusp of some new fad or trend. We are well entrenched in a rock solid American pastime. We are nearly mainline. Maybe, enjoying the best of all hobbies?

Another forum has advisers (supposedly, one male and the other female) who blatantly say that canoes and kayaks should not be made of wood. To them, only fiberglass, aluminum, plastic, and Kevlar are suitable materials for making boats. Well, that is just so much horse pucky.

We love to discuss variations in design, favorite styles, etc. Actually, if a boat floats - and remains afloat - during its use, it has accomplished maybe 98% of its job. Any performance that design adds to that is pure gravy.

As long as we can continue to dream about, build, and use our boats our way we are a free people. But, it isn't the boats that make us free. It's the freedom that allows us to dream, make, and use our boats. So, whether you're sanding or paddling - take a minute to thank our military - and especially those who didn't come home to make boats along side us.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Yep Jack, Very well said mate.

We will never forget the sacrifices of those who went before us to ensure our freedom to build what we want, when we want and how we want to do it. and further - to paddle it how,when and where we want, as well.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)