Does adding flotation bump recommended minimum weight load?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Does adding flotation bump recommended minimum weight load?

Post by LesForgue »

A local fellow canoer has repeatedly suggested that I stuff some flotation into the ends of my JEM Trapper 1538. So I might install sections of pool noodle in the ends for flotation.
But would that mean the Trapper 1538's minimum recommended best performance weight load would increase to more that the original 200 lbs?
I could determine how many pounds of water my pieces of pool noodle would actually float, and then add that to the 200.
But the more I think about it, I think the pool noodles would have no affect at all while they are in a dry-inside canoe.
In any case I'm not enthusiastic about the flotation idea, not wanting to sacrifice that space in the canoe ends. I'm usually paddling solo and have two or three 6 or 7 gallon plastic water cans at one end and I try to snug them as far to the end as they'll fit (which isn't far).
That extra weight is for one, because I don't weigh 200 and two, to trim for wind.
Also I don't really want to fill the end spaces cuz they're good for putting long poles, sticks, paddles forward so they won't block the floor where I be kneeling.
Les Richard Forgue
Cowbro
Type of boat I like: Blue fin

Re: Does adding flotation bump recommended minimum weight load?

Post by Cowbro »

I have 10 or so pool noodles stuffed inside my Blue-fin sit on top, but that is becuase i take it out in the ocean and we have had 2 GWS attacks already this year in NorCal where they bit into yellow Hobie kayaks. The kayaks would have sank if the kayakers had been just a little less lucky (both of them survived unharmed). With the pool noodles in there, theoretically the whole boat could flood and it would still float enough for me to hold onto while rescue came.

The Trapper 15-38 is open top, right? You'd have the physically lash the noodles to the hull for them to be effective, even then they will not increase the weight carrying capacity of the canoe. Unless you were using it in the ocean (not generally recommended) or running white water i wouldn't worry about it. Several companies make nice inflatable floatation bags for canoes that are probably less weight than an equivalent volume of noodles.
LesForgue

Post by LesForgue »

Thanks cowbro. Oh I never thought the flotation would increase the canoe's maximum load, I wondered if it would increase the 200 minimum recommended, not the 660 maximum. For this Trapper open canoe the recommended weight for optimal performance is at least 200 and not over 660 lbs. If I used the noodles theyd be cut into sections about a foot long and bundled and secured in place in the ends of the canoe. My paddling situations are quite tame compared with your ocean going.. I go small.lakes, ( except Lake Michigan very close to shore) and gentle sections of local rivers.
Les Richard Forgue
LesForgue

Post by LesForgue »

Well I could spend $110 USD for air bags,
Or less than $3 USD for the pool noodles.
Anyone care to guess my choice?
Les Richard Forgue
Cowbro
Type of boat I like: Blue fin

Post by Cowbro »

Theoretically the canoe should float all by itself? right? the wood, epoxy and glass should be less than water so even if swamped you'd just have to bail it out, right? I am thinking the flotation is probably not even worth the hassle and you might as well just wear a PFD and save the space for fishing poles and an ice chest.
LesForgue

Post by LesForgue »

I doubt the epoxy or glass is lighter than water. But the plywood is 5mm thick so it should float the epoxy and glass I guess. But some with the experience have advised it's much easier to move a swamped canoe where you want (to shore) when it's got the flotation.
Les Richard Forgue
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Adding flotation foam or bags would only increase capacity of a flooded hull. No change in normal paddling conditions.
-Matt. Designer.