Question about which boat to build?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jdfdave

Post by jdfdave »

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, in a protected bay. We always have some sort of breeze and slight chop on the water, and if the wind gets up maybe some 1 to 2 foot waves.. I am an experienced woodworker having made several pieces of furniture and done remodeling. Which of the designs would fit best for my water conditions? I want to do some fishing and recreational paddling and exploring. I have never built a boat before.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

All of them. :D

ok ok ....seriously...the Cape Fear should fit the bill nicely. It's slightly more difficult to build than some of the other designs because the bottom panels have that twist, but if you take your time and follow the instructions, it shouldn't be a problem.

Woodworking experience helps a lot. Working with fiberglass and epoxy has a learning curve, but it should not be a problem with our super-clear and easy instructions. 8)
-Matt. Designer.
jdfdave

Post by jdfdave »

The Cape Fear looks good, but the s.o.t. model or sit in model, and which length would you recommend? Also, what about the Escape?
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

jdfdave,

Here are some thoughts for you. You mention waves & chop. You will be more secure in a semi-rounded hull with multi chines. As a wave passes under a boat, the boat will try to roll to match the angle of the wave face under it.

A rounded bottom ALWAYS has an angle to match the front or back of a wave. A flat bottom boat will heave first one way, then the other way to match a wave. A boater is tossed about as a result.

Matt will provide more detailed guidance.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Re: Question about which boat to build?

Post by jem »

jdfdave wrote:The Cape Fear looks good, but the s.o.t. model or sit in model, and which length would you recommend? Also, what about the Escape?
I recommend you should not try to build a SOT as your first boat. Others have and have had success doing it. But as a general rule, I say go simpler at first.

So the sit inside would be more appropriate. Length depends on what you want. Longer boat will move faster, hold more weight, but will be heavier and more expensive to build.

The escape would do ok, but with the waves you mentioned, the Cape Fear will handle it better.
-Matt. Designer.
jdfdave

questions about which boat to build

Post by jdfdave »

Thanks for your help and advice. I am going to take a serious look at the cape fear.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Matt,

Maybe JdfDave might like to have a look at our wade-fish? Should be simpler to build and might suit his needs.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

hairymick wrote:Hi Matt,

Maybe JdfDave might like to have a look at our wade-fish? Should be simpler to build and might suit his needs.
I think think the sit-inside version of the Cape Fear would be simpler because it has less panels to work with.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

jdfdave.....

Pssssst .... Over here ... that's right come over here I don't bite but I do need to whisper something to you that these fine gentlemen are not telling you. :wink:

Good ... No one is around to hear us so listen up because this happen to me. :)

There was one time when I did not have a lot of boats and then I started making wood boats and before I knew what happen I have a whole workshop full of them, all sorts of them for paddling in different types of water. Yep ... after you make that 1st one then they are like potato chips, you just can't stop with one.

Since you have wood working skills building a boat from wood also requires fiberglassing skills and working with epoxy. For this reason it is better to start out with one that is easier to make and then increase the difficulty of making them as you go along. It is not just working with wood but working with all of the rest it takes to make a boat.

When you can have a custom made boat from wood the way you want it and for a lot less then one you would purchase off the shelf it lets the builder have more then just one.
Lets say it will cost $300.00 to make your boat .... That same boat if you could find it on the open market is going to be a lot, lot more.
Mine are made with wood and if they were plastic they would of cost me from one to two thousand or more for the plastic boat that everyone else has just like it. Mine are custom made by me for me and are one of a kind.
I think that is the type of boat you would enjoy since you enjoy working with wood.

Just my $0.02 cents worth , nothing more. Nut's don't listen to me , My 1st wood boat was a 12 panel sea Kayak at 17 1/2 feet and 39 pounds and I don't have the woodworking skills that you have , but I wanted that kayak.

Chuck.
PS. By the way , Matt , Mick and Jack are like me .... a whole shop full of boats we have made and use. :D
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Oldsparkey wrote:... PS. By the way , Matt , Mick and Jack are like me .... a whole shop full of boats we have made and use. :D
Dave, let me assure you that, even though Matt & I also have a few boats, we are NOT like Chuck. We are both able to appear in public, converse rationally with people (not just organ grinders' monkeys n sech), and can return home to dine in relative civilization.

Chuck scratches himself at odd moments, in odd places, and embarrassing locations. His sense of humor, though petroleum based and diode powered, is quite well developed. Better than was Data's on Star Trek. To his credit, Chuck is trying. (Boy - is he EVER trying.)

We now return you to your regular programming....

(I can't believe Chuck didn't mention gree-itz anywhere in his post)
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.