"Seaworthy" 2 man SOT

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I honestly think the tandem you saw being designed would suite you needs well.

(Now I'm waiting for the question about when everyone else can see the designs we're discussing).
-Matt. Designer.
paulnb57
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by paulnb57 »

OK so now far off compeltion are these plans, cost/ease of build etc...
Is there any info available - picture/rough sketch available?
I think we are getting somwhere here!!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Guys, Might I put my 2 bobs worth in here? :D

Paul, first up mate, welcome to the forum. :D

I reckon 16 feet is the absolute minimum length for any tandem off shore paddle craft.

Would a decked and hatched canoe, turning it into a sea canoe be an option? perhaps something like a modified merrimac perhaps? Would be a lot easier to build too.

just a thought.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

Thanks for the input Mick
This link shows a plastic (shudder!!)SOT 12' long 32" wide....so hence i thought 16' would give a bit more room..............

http://www.familyadventurestore.co.uk/c ... 140b39391b
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Paul.

I shudder at the thought of that horrible plastic stuff too :D I have an old plastic TK1 that I sometimes use to run rapids (when we have water in our rivers) and bounce off rocks and stuff. To my way of thinking, that is about all it is good for. Otherwise I find it about as useful as a hip pocket in a singlet. :D Its a pig to paddle, slow in flat water and would break your heart punching into a headwind. I have sometimes thought about having a sacrificial burning. :D

That tandem thing in your link, doesn't impress me much. Looks about as useful as my plastic TK1 :D, No style, elegance or grace, in short - no class :D.

I'm sure Matt will come up with something to suit your needs mate. good luck.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

paulnb57 wrote:OK so now far off compeltion are these plans, cost/ease of build etc...
Is there any info available - picture/rough sketch available?
I think we are getting somwhere here!!
I have Mick's SOT that's nearing completetion, then I'm working on a tandem SOT custom design. It's always tough to predict when a new design will be ready because this is the busy time of year.

I've gotten a LOT of custom design requests this year and it's been tough keeping up. Let's say mid-to-late June for the current tandem.

Ease of build: That's always a tough one to answer. My "official" advice is that you build something else first. Even something simple like my book shelf plans http://jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=Shelf7 .

What you'll learn will go a long, long way toward the quality of a second boat project.

Can a SOT be built by a first timer? Yes. But it may be heavy and not as fair as you'd like it to be. Woodworking skills are important, but the learning curve with the epoxy and fiberglass can't really be learned with anything else other than hands-on experience. I guess if you have some drywalling experience or doing auto body bondo work, that might be comparable.

I gave you access to the private, custom SOT design forum. Were you able to veiw that?
-Matt. Designer.
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

I'm already part way through building a simple open style canoe and learning from mistakes!! The whole thing is only as a learning exercise.
Ive seen the SOT forum but am now more confused as to what will suit!!
I aprticularly like the lines of the cape fear SOT but it does not have the capacity I require....could a larger version be designed and would it suit the sea? The Sabolo is also a fine design but again not sure if it meets my nees if designed bigger...looks complicated too, but am impressed with the inne framework design, elegant very nice! I haev experience of engineering as a turner/horizontal borer and appreciate good design!!
I sent a deposit for a custom design....I think that is probably the best way to go, so, as I think you have a grasp of what my spec is, perhaps you could come up with some initial thoughts that would come close to my ideas...I havent the experience to decide the ideal width/length, but it must be car toppable!
Regards
Paul
BTW what is the advantage of epoxy as opposed to polyester??
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

paulnb57 wrote: BTW what is the advantage of epoxy as opposed to polyester??
Epoxy: Stronger bond, easier to work with, more forgiving to mixing errors, but more expensive.

Poly/Vinyl: Not as strong of a bond, will absorb some water over the long term, smelly, more precise mixing required, but very available and very cheap.
-Matt. Designer.