"Seaworthy" 2 man SOT

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
paulnb57
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

"Seaworthy" 2 man SOT

Post by paulnb57 »

First I'd just like to say Hi! from the UK, and what an interesting forum this is..........anyroadup I'm wanting a second project after the canadian style canoe I'm building is finished.......The "seaworthy" in the title hints at the use I want it for: Offshore round various areas of the coast off the Isle of Wight, off the South coast of the UK. I'd like a 2 man, stable SOT that will cope with a bit of swell rather than use onlakes or estuaries, I won't be out if the weather is forecast to be bad, but we all know that the weather can change quite quickly! I dont fish, but some kit storage would be good. Say about 500lbs toatal max load. Is there anything in the pipeline? Those currently being discussed appear to be more suited to more sheltered waters. Stitch n tape and a simple build would also be a bonus!!
Thanks folks!!
Paul
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The preview you saw is currently the only tandem SOT I have on the drawing board.

We can talk about custom design services in e-mail if you'd like.
-Matt. Designer.
paulnb57
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by paulnb57 »

OK however I have no idea what that would cost so it could fall at the first hurdle...........
I quite like the lines of the boat sketched in thuis forum link
viewtopic.php?t=407

would this be suitablemodified for rougher weather use??

I guess it would be best if you could email me please and give me a ball park figure for a custom design and take it from there.
Thanks!!
Paul
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I thought about this and though there's a few comments worth making.

When you say "seaworthy". I'm guessing you mean something with a more rounded hull that can take on bigger waves. A rounded hull can make a SOT difficult to constuct, especially with desiring higher displacements like you mentioned at 500 pounds.

A flatter, wider bottom will displace more water than a rounded hull and thus allows it to float higher in the water. So that leads to having a waterline only 2-3" up the sides of the hull. In order for a SOT to be really effective, it must not having water constantly sitting in the cockpit. This adds weight that must be paddled through the water.

So the tops of the scuppers must be higher than the waterline in order to keep the cockpit reasonably dry and allow any water taken over the sides to drain quickly.

In order for a more rounded hull to displace the weights of a wide, flattish bottomed hull, it has to sit deeper into the water and thus have a higher waterline. In order to keep the cockpit dry, the tops of the scuppers would have to be higher to carry a similar load.

This doesn't sound like an issue but we then run into issues of stability. More rounded hulls are less stable at rest to begin with (but this is required to more more seaworthy). Put a higher seating position and the hull will feel even less stable.

To get around this, you need a wider, or longer, rounded hull. But then issues of total hull weight come into play.

Lots of tradeoffs to consider for a design like this.
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

paulnb57 wrote:OK however I have no idea what that would cost so it could fall at the first hurdle...........
I quite like the lines of the boat sketched in thuis forum link
viewtopic.php?t=407

would this be suitablemodified for rougher weather use??

I guess it would be best if you could email me please and give me a ball park figure for a custom design and take it from there.
Thanks!!
Paul
Oh ok. Explain what you consider more "seaworthy". I think that'll help me answer your inquiry better.
-Matt. Designer.
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

As you can tell I'm on a steep learning curve here...
"seaworthy" was my naieve way of describing a vessel that would be at home on the Ocean rather than lake/river etc where things are a bit calmer. I am completely and utterly in need of advice for the best boat to suit my needs....
I guess the spec would be;
Ability to carry about 500lbs
Seat 2 adults reasonably comfortably and take picnic kit/dog. with hatch covered storage.
Stability in moderate waves, if its bad I wont go out.
Ease of construction.
Unsinkable!!
Friends have plastic SOTS that perform with varying degrees of success depending on maufacturer/style....design compromises??
Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree................??
OR would a slightly longer Cape Fear SOT do the trick??
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Alright I see what you mean. Sometimes I just need the builders point of view. 8)

Let me ask you this: What's the maximum length and beam you'd like to have?

These questions will help focus in on a more direct answer.
-Matt. Designer.
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

There you go again!!!!( No offence intended) I have no idea what length width would do the job although I suppose there must be a good compromise width that would give stability/performance...as for length, I guess 16/17 foot would still not overhang to far either end of a Land Rover D90!
Does that sound feasible? Your input based on your experience is highly valued!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

lol...

With the beam, have you paddled other boats that you thought were too wide and difficult to paddle? Do you know how wide they were?

Or how about a boat that you thought paddled real good and you comfortable with the beam?
-Matt. Designer.
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

The only paddling experience Ive had was on a river with tame rapids in an open Colman style canoe about 16 feet x about 3 foot beam but with single paddles.....roomy and stable though! Where I live now is a small diamond shaped Island 25 miles across the wides t part x 18 miles - no rivers really worth paddling but surrounded by Ocean! Hence my thoughts....and the need for someting more suited to these conditions.