Is there a sail rig or sail plan for Buccaneer X-tra Wide?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
mud
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Is there a sail rig or sail plan for Buccaneer X-tra Wide?

Post by mud »

Hello -

Thinking over the idea of building my first boat. I like the Buccanneer X-tra Wide. Are there plans for a sail rig and outriggers that are adaptable to this boat? :roll:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

None currently but I can put something together some recomendations if/when you purchase the plans.

I'm not sure how well it will sail though.
-Matt. Designer.
mud
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

sail plan on a sq.stern canoe?

Post by mud »

I will order the plans.

It is the location of the mast step, and lee board that concern me.

Looks like it could take a sail if it had ammas (sp?) ... Shoot, I'd enjoy the heck out of a yawl rig if it could be done. Am I nuts?

Couldn't a simple rudder be hung off the transom somehow?

:shock:
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I can show you the ideal placement of those.

I don't have much sialing experience but with amas, it should do ok I'm guessing.
-Matt. Designer.
mud

That is super-

Post by mud »

I stumbled onto this site. Man, it has been an education.

The quick responses are impressive too. You folks at JEM have impressed the heck out of me, and that is hard to do with the thick skull I got.

We need a boat that can take a trolling motor, a sail for those times we're alone on the lake with a light breeze, and something I can handle on & off the truck by myself.

I really like this boat.

Do I understand that you can spend as much time in the epoxy work as you can in cutting and assembling the hull?

Thanks again...

:wink:
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Re: That is super-

Post by Kayak Jack »

mud wrote:... Do I understand that you can spend as much time in the epoxy work as you can in cutting and assembling the hull?
... and then some, Mud. And then - there's sanding. Two truisms of sanding are:
1. Never sand where you don't have to.
2. You are NEVER done sanding.

Another site you might enjoy is Southern Paddler http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/index.php

Some of the same flavor and same nuts populate both sites.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Re: That is super-

Post by jem »

mud wrote:I stumbled onto this site. Man, it has been an education.

The quick responses are impressive too. You folks at JEM have impressed the heck out of me, and that is hard to do with the thick skull I got.

We need a boat that can take a trolling motor, a sail for those times we're alone on the lake with a light breeze, and something I can handle on & off the truck by myself.

I really like this boat.

Do I understand that you can spend as much time in the epoxy work as you can in cutting and assembling the hull?

Thanks again...

:wink:
JEM is all about the customer and service. Appreciated that you've noticed. 8)

You'll spend more time with the epoxy than cutting. Figure about an hour a sheet to draw and cut. Stitching, making the seams, glassing takes a bit of time but it's a fun process....except for sanding. :? No one likes the sanding.
-Matt. Designer.
banoe

Post by banoe »

Mud,

I think the buck would make a good sailing canoe. I don't think you would even need outriggers. Just keep the sail area small say 20- 30 sq. ft. it should not need a lot more than that to get it going. A single mast with a loose footed trangular sail (no boom) would be the simplest rig. You could get a 1 1/2" closet pole from Home Dept and some Tyvec housewrap to make the mast and sail. You can get hardware for rudders to mount to transoms at most boating supply stores.