O.K. then I bought the plans for the X-tra Buck.

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
mud
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

O.K. then I bought the plans for the X-tra Buck.

Post by mud »

I have 2 case jobs to push out of the shop then I'm free to build this canoe. That said, I'm hoping that the sail plan, along with the mast step and lee board location will make sense to me. What's the old saying? 'Dawn breaks over Marblehead'?

I've poured over your forum postings, and read posts on the Old Sparky forum (Is the guy a retired electrician by chance?) and feel pretty confident that I can glue something to my floor.

Here's a question:

I have 3/4 of a gal. of West System Epoxy left over from a bow front vanity I built for someone last year. Can this material be mixed with other epoxy? Should I just buy more West Epoxy? Nobody mentions it by name that I can see. Is it inferior to the stuff you guys use? :D
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

RAKA is my personal preferred brand. Best value for the money. I've used a few brands of epoxy but never West. Some folks swear by it, some say it blushes too much. I'm not sure.

As far as mixing, the clear resin should be ok to mix, but I wouldn't fool around with mixing hardeners from different brands.

JEM customers get a discount at RAKA, but if you have some West and can get more reasonbly easy and cheap, then you might just want to go ahead and do that.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: O.K. then I bought the plans for the X-tra Buck.

Post by Oldsparkey »

mud wrote: I've poured over your forum postings, and read posts on the Old Sparky forum (Is the guy a retired electrician by chance?) and feel pretty confident that I can glue something to my floor.

Mud
To answer your question .... NOPE..... Retired Deputy Sheriff with a defibrillator and since I have that implanted in me ... some friends made the comment that when it goes off I should send sparks everywhere so I got stuck with that handle.
No, when it goes off there are no sparks as far as I can tell but I am a bad person to ask since it only goes off when the heart stops beating. :shock:

Chuck.
Most folks think that I threw the switch for the Electric Chair at the Florida Prison (Death Row) since the chair is called Old Sparkey but that is not true ... I just sent them customers.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler