Moved - Pontoon boat

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Moved - Pontoon boat

Post by jem »

Moved this topic to this forum.

Pontoon boat is 12' x 6'. This would be a great camper and for fishing/casting. It's not rigged strong enough to be a sailer.

450 pounds would only draft you around 4"

Kayak Jack

Posted: 19 Jun 2004 02:41 pm Post subject: Pontoon Boat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the specs, ideas, etc. of a pontoon boat? What about http://www.jemwatercraft.com/pontoon.php ? It looks like something nice for camping and fishing. Sailing?

Alamana1

Posted: 19 Jun 2004 04:34 pm Post subject: pontoon boat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

th pontoon boat looks really stable, im considering building one to take my son bowfishing at night on freshwater lakes . what would the draft be with a load of around 450lbs?
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Matt...

I have been thinking .... Something bad for me. :roll:

The pontoon boat is just a bit small for what I was thinking about using it for. It is 12 feet long , 5 feet wide and 20 inches high.

Now if it was stretched out to 16 feet and 8 feet wide with the same height. It could be used for a lot more.

What I am getting at in my own slow way is one of the places I go, or use to go, it would be ideal for that.

The 10,000 islands area of the Everglades. :D

A person could make the pontoon boat and then either use a tent on it for the night or rig it up with a tarp and a cot for sleeping and as a dry base camp. It could be powered with a small gas motor but I would not suggest that.

Better if it was towed behind your fishing boat then anchored in a good spot as an overnight camp and place of security, no registration (taxes) on it this way.

There is NO DRY land down there except for a few places and it costs to camp on them along with the chickees , which is the only shaded places in 100 miles and you have to have a float plan to enjoy them.

The pontoon boat would fill that empty spot and actually let a person or persons go into the back country for nothing ... free with no registration, no float plan, no nothing (To use a double negative) but for you to do what you want, for as long as you want to do it. Because they would not be using the National Parks camping areas, rules, fees or anything else.
I think the ole term for it is ....... Foot lose and Fancy Free. :D

Now Days ......You can only spend one night at a campsite and then have to move to the next one which wrecks your fishing if you have located a good spot. A person is tied to there rules and regulations this way, the pontoon boat would offer freedom and not cost anything (besides the construction of it) for a lot of fun.
Might even call it a Pore Boy's Houseboat.... :D

I am just thinking if it was designed for two people to use as a shelter for the night , out on the water , it might be a lot better , or just for fun.

As I said ... when I get to thinking it is bad for me. :wink:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Hmmm....sounds a new one to put on the "to do" list. What about making the pontoons squared off at the aft ends?

That way maybe we can get a 5hp gas outboard on the back and displace a little more than just stretching out the existing pontoons.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Matt..

While we are kicking this around......

How about squared off above the water line so there would not be any turbulence (less drag) created by them going thru the water... like a canoe does.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Pontooning

Post by Kayak Jack »

I'm thinking that the basic plans could be stretched easily. Maybe instead of the platform being 4' X 8', make it 6' X 12'. Maybe in the future, the pontoons could be removed, undecked, and paddled as a canoe? Move the deck ashore as a tent platform.

It seems to me that this is a "standard basic" that can be evolutionized endlessly. It could be powered by a small outboard, polling, etc. Uprights rigged so a Hennessy hammock could be stretched diagonally across the deck. Probably wouldn't want to build a campfire aboard the deck, hmm? Endlessly variable. I like it.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

definately some options to be considered. I saw BBQ grill option once that hung off the bow. When you were done cooking, the whole works rotated to dump the hot coals.

I suppose if you really wanted that option, you could cut a hole for a small grill to fit in. Same hole could double for when nature is calling. :shock: :wink:

I wouldn't want to paddle one of the current pontoons as a individual canoe. Max beam of 24" and 12" at the bottom. Tippy big time!

I'm kicking around Chuck's ideas for the 8' x 16' pontoon boat concept. Those pontoons coulds easily double as a couple of flat sheered pirogues.

Hmmm...perhaps another version of the Swamp Girl.
Last edited by jem on Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Pontoon Boat

Post by Kayak Jack »

I think you're really on to something. A variable boat that can be modified in the design stage to fit several different configurations would be like the old Popular Science and Popular Mechanix magazines.

Though many today want instant gratification - and they want it RIGHT NOW! - many enjoy building things themselves. I've noticed that shop classes in schools, youth groups, and individuals of wide variety in age are doing it. Both males and females are into building boats. And - once you hook a young person on it, they have it in their blood.

A pontoon boat is a natural for a family project.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
dawallace45

Post by dawallace45 »

Matt it sounds like what people want is a full size house boat to camp on and do day trips from , I keep thinking of a cross between a pontoon boat and a pop top camper , hell I may even do it one day

David W
despotic931

Post by despotic931 »

only problem I see is that when you try to make a boat do everything you end up with a boat that does nothing. :lol:

seriously, what if you designed the pontoons to be removable pirouges and built the deck so that it could fold up, then it would be a lot easier to transport. I like the idea of the uprights for the hammock, but thats a case my base basis, most do not have camping hammocks. A pontoon grill can be bought an installed just like Matt described. What about indoor outdoor carpet on the deck?

I do see a problem with the removable pontoons, if you deck them then they are pontoons, but if you dont deck them then they are pirouges or canoes. If you leave them undecked then doesnt that leave an oppertunity for them to fill with water?

those are my thoughts at the moment
-Justin
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

You could do removeable pontoons but not as open pirogues. They would have to be as a sealed hull.

A folding deck would mean you'd need extra support beams. I supppose it could be done but it wouldn't store that much better than a "solid" pontoon. The ideal set up to haul this one is a small flat bed trailer with some outdoor carpeting. Just back it near the water and push!

I was thinking about tinkering with a mini cat sailboat that could be taken apart. Pontoons would be taller and meant as the primary sitting area. Some cross beams for support and for placing your feet. A wet but fun ride.

This one isn't a sailor. You could rig a small sail/bed sheet for catching some downwinds for a little fun. But it's not structurally sound enough to do any sort of tacking.
-Matt. Designer.