Epoxy question

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jheger
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Epoxy question

Post by jheger »

Just finished butting my bottom panels with wood flour. Used the slow curing hardner. The weather here is about 60 degrees and is raining a little so humidity is high. Question, when do you know when the epoxy has cured enough so you can go to the next step and apply the cloth?
Thanks
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Do a thumb-nail scratch test. If you can scratch it, wait a little longer.

With slow cure and your weather conditions, I'd 24 hours is the most you should have to wait.
-Matt. Designer.
danh

Post by danh »

Another tell tale sign of an incomplete cure is when you see little balls forming instead of dust when you start to sand.

I built a Glen-L boat last winter in New England and I had plenty of practice working with epoxy through the cold winter. 60 degrees + slow hardener may take a little more than 24 hours to cure. Be patient. It will cure.

Good luck,
Dan
Mullet_Key
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Slow Epoxy - cool temps

Post by Mullet_Key »

James, you can speed up the curing process by adding some heat to your work area. Also, be careful sanding "Just cured" epoxy. It can cause a bad rash when you think it's benign. Ca
Pygmy Arctic Tern
JEM Swamp Girl -15
JEM Wadefish 15