Deciding what to build

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
macca
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Deciding what to build

Post by macca »

Gday Mates

I have been reading most of your info on this site and have pretty much made my mind up to make a Cape Fear but I'm not sure on what length :?

I want to use it mainly solo for fishing on lake and creeks in my local area when its to ruff out at sea for my fishing boat. :D

But to get permission from she that must be obeyed I have agreed to take my wife out paddling occasionally in our local river :oops:

so I am unsure of length to build as 12" would be much easer in small mangrove lined creeks but will it handle 2 adults comfortably for a leisurely paddle down the river :roll:

I would also be interested in and photos of other Cape Fear kayaks that have been built as the study plans don't show a lot of detail
havaniceweekend

Macca
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I'd say that a 12' would be pretty tight for 2 people.

I had a group of builders in FL buy several sets of CF plans for a group project. They said to have had a bunch of pictures but I never received any.

Now I will be straight up honest: ("fair dinkem" I think is your term down under :wink: ) I did get a report from this group that they had some water come in over the side we they went busting through the surf is some rough stuff.

I don't know how big off surf that was or the extent of the water they took on. I never heard any more reports.

That report of course botherd me so I started sketching something that could take on choppy water and still keep dry. I can post up a couple sample images if you're interested.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Macca,

While I have no experience in Australia (damn it!) and very little fishing, I DO have experience with wives. Two boats may be an answer. Either a 12' solo and a larger double, or two solo boats.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
macca

Post by macca »

Thanks for your replies

I would be interested in looking at the sketches, our creeks and river are not to bad for chop but the Local Dam does get a bit wind blown at times. :lol:

I can see my self using it on the dam to catch a 1.2m 30kg Barra :D

KJ
As for building 2 solo's there’s no way wife’s idea of a leisurely paddle is she sits there and gives the orders (left, right, faster etc) the only time she would use a paddle is to belt me with it if I don't obey :twisted:
havaniceweekend

Macca
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

MM hmm - wife type# 4. Just a little training problem.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Macca,

Welcom to the dark side mate. :D

I hope to start building a Cape Fear 16 footer as a training exercise for my workers. If I can't get the necessary clearances, I will build it for myself (just for fun)

I lived at Boyne Island a few years ago, and in my humble opinion a 16ft Cape Fear (slightly modified for two) would suit your needs well. A 12 footer is way too small, I think. especially if you plan on catching some of those animal barra from the lake.

I reckon such a boat would be great in the Boyne & Calliope Rivers and Wild Cattle creek and also be fine in Lake Awonga. Would also be fine as a solo boat in the harbour.

A very, very good alternative might be a new tandem SOT Matt is designing or someone else. One of Matts lovely canoes might suit your needs also. - So many beautiful boats to build - and only one lifetime. :oops:

If you were just going to stick to the rivers, i would recommend Matts Swampgirl 16 - a beautiful boat, that is very stable and is a delight to paddle and very good to fish skinny water from. I've just finished one and love it to bits.

Here are a couple of piccies of my 'girl, set up to fish two. I have taken two inches off the freeboard to reduce wind signature. it would be more suited to a tandem set up if the sides had been left as in the plans.

Image[/img]

Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)