several more questions

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
buildingacanoe

several more questions

Post by buildingacanoe »

hey, i was looking at the epoxy on the raka site, and i was wondering if you think this will be enough to finish the free canoe plans:

6 QUART KIT $87.00

1 gallon resin + 1 qt. fast hard
+ 1 qt. slow hard

Is that the right kind to get? i really have no idea about any of this epoxy stuff. Also, is wood flour just sawdust from a sander? thanks.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Both Matt at JEM, and Larry at RAKA will advise you. Call Larry direct and ask him.

What you will find is, for every question, there are several answers. Some of them will be righter than others for YOU, all are OK. IE: answers are seldom a specific point, usually more like a range, from which you choose what seems best. If you miss, plywood and epoxy and fiber glass will fix almost all errors (on the boat - they aren't much help in the kitchen, living room, or bedroom).
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I get the three gallon kit and combine the two hardeners to make a medium hardener. When the boat is done then I have enough left over for fun work or a 2nd boat. I hate to run out when working on a boat and there will be some of it going to waste in the building process. It is always better to have more then not enough.

As Jack said .. Matt can direct you better for the amount needed for a single boat and Larry also can since he has made a Pirogue for his own use.

Wood flour is the fine dust that collects in the bag of the sander , no bits , pieces, splinters or any solid wood in it. When I made the red wood stripper pirogue ( http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 75a5c6673d ) I managed to get several gallon zip lock bags of the wood flour but I did a lot of sanding.
Way to much sanding since I hate sanding. The greated majority of work on that pirogue was sanding. :evil:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

nope. That's only 1.5 gallons. You need 1.8.

For a first time builder, you need that extra fudge factor.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

What Matt said only make it two gallons. oneboat will never be enough :oops:
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)