Cutting fiberglass tape out of cloth

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
James

Cutting fiberglass tape out of cloth

Post by James »

When I put the cloth over the resin and use a squeegee to get excess epoxy out my fiberglass cloth has a tendency to loose some strands of fiber.

How do you get around that?

Thanks
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I'm guessing this is for taping the seams and that you cut strips of cloth
to make your tape.

When you buy firberglass tape, it has a woven edge to prevent what you describe. The trade off is that after your seams cure, you have to sand off that edge. So you have to deal with it when your wetting the fiberglass out, or you have to deal wit it after it cures.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it. You can try and cut
the strips a little wider and then not wet out the very edge, but that's
about it.

You'll get better at it as you work with it more.
-Matt. Designer.
Mullet_Key
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Cutting strips for tape and avoiding the loose fibers

Post by Mullet_Key »

James, try to cut some strips 45 deg diagonal to the 90 / 90 deg weave. Chris
Pygmy Arctic Tern
JEM Swamp Girl -15
JEM Wadefish 15
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Fiber Glass Frazzles

Post by Kayak Jack »

Those &%@*)** fiber glass frazzles! They have plagued me always. Worst thing that happened to me was running my hand along a gunnel the next day. Those little threads that stick to everything when the glue is wet - become needles when the glue is set. They penetrate and then break off. OUCH!

Sand paper has been my only salvation on these things. And that woven edge on tape is another buggar. Cabinet scrapers take that down and feather off the edge. ARRGGHH!
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.