Car-topping

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jcubero
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Car-topping

Post by jcubero »

So now that I've got a canoe, I have to transport it. Thoughts on car-topping? At the moment I don't have any holes, rings or cleats on it to attach lines. Kym doesn't want to "spoil the lines" by putting holes in the canoe. What's the best way to transport the canoe without damaging anything?
--
Javier
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

do you have a roof rack? If not, you'll have to buy one of those foam block kits. Wrap a couple straps around the midsection and you roof rack or through the car doors.

Then tie off the bow and stern to your bumbpers.
-Matt. Designer.
jcubero
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by jcubero »

I did get one of those block kits.
Then tie off the bow and stern to your bumbpers.
How?? That's the part where I don't ahve any holes or hardware. What do you guys recommend doing at bow and stern?
--
Javier
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

there should be some S-hooks you can use. If not, anything under your hood you could hook on to?
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I have just one word for you: "Thule"
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jcubero

Post by jcubero »

Jack, how couldyou call me that? My mamma didn't raise no thule! :D :wink: I checked their website at www.thule.com. Some interesting options there. Thanks.
--
Javier
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Boy this is a shock :shock: ...To my nervious system...... Can't stop laughing.

I thought Jack would say Yakima Racks since there name reminds me of him. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have used there racks and they are nice. Travel Country in Longwood has them.

http://www.yakima.com/

Thule has the square bars and Yakima uses the round bars , that is about the only difference.
Either way you would need 4 towers and two bars , if you decide to go that way then get the locks for the towers , that locks the whole thing to your car. When you get them on the vehicle , mark the rubber on the inside of the door where they are with a perment black marker (Sharpie) . When you take the rack off and then want to put it back you will know right where it goes. No guessing that way.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I have yakimas with the gunwale mounts. It's awesome.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I just placed an ordered for a roof rack to use on the Jeep Wrangler I have.

It is made by Smittybilt , There Rock Crawler Off Road Rack for Jeep Wrangler owners who want to go where no one has gone before and take there boats or anything else with them. Only a 300 pound limit on the rack. :D

Plus with the 2 1/4 inch steel , power coated, tubing it is made from I can pull into a campground, find one tree and then use it and the tree to set up my hammock for a good nights sleep. Quandary to popular belief and what Jack tells you , I don't weigh 300 pounds so it will work for ole skinney me. :D

My light weight boats will not even make it sweat and I can still drop the top for some comfort.
I like going topless when driving ..... No ...NOT ME ....the Vehicle :roll:

The thing is bomb proof and what accessories does it accept for when you want to have boats up there and still get into No Mans Land........ The Yakima accessories ... which I still have.
Gave the rest to a paddling and camping friend when I switched from the Dakota to the Wrangler so he could use it on his truck.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jcubero

Post by jcubero »

OK, first problem is that I priced out the Yakima system, and it costs more than my canoe! :shock: $355.00 as configured on their website. C'mon folks, think cheap!

I did solve the problem of attaching something to the front and rear of the canoe, however. I went to the High Holy Shrine of Man (Home Depot). As I walked up and down the aisles praying for inspiration to the patron saint of tools (Tim Allen) I found something. They had "Truck Universal Anchor Points" which were perfect for the canoe. (Keeper model # 05649) Image
One hole in the breasthooks, and they were in:
Yes, that's a bowline knot. Flys I can't tie, knots I'm good with :lol:

So now I've got a set of foam blocks and a place to tie some lines to. I think I can make this work.
BTW, I've got a Nissan Altima, but Kym has a Frontier crew cab pickup. Is there a good way to carry the canoe on her truck? Is one better than the other?
--
Javier