Graphite & Epoxy mix for the boat bottom

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Graphite & Epoxy mix for the boat bottom

Post by jem »

probably be mighty expensive.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

If he ships the finished boat back stateside, THAT will be expensive.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Derek Bowen

Post by Derek Bowen »

Sorry to say guys but this country is as dodgy as they come. İ can get stuff shipped in but then İ will have to "joust with the forces of darkness" in the form of Turkish customs. İve been there n done that and its costly and involves a 12 hours round trip bus ride to İstanbull (double L is intentional). İ will checkout the tractor dealers and locksmiths in town. Can anyone advise on what kind of industries might use graphite in any form and therefor have waste or something İ can DiY.????
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Derreck
First I am the outcast on here with my building process :lol: , so take this as a last chance , not sanctioned bye Matt choice,
Non of my boats have epoxy bottoms and as Jack can tell you I bounce mine of off rocks drag it and just plain used the heck out of it in some bad inviroments. All I do is use a good outdoor paint on my bottoms and so far has held up pretty good.
If you have to much trouble getting graphite, you could paint the bottom go ahead and use the boat and when you do get the powder sand off the paint and then graphite it.
THE ABOVE PROCESSES ARE NOT SANCTIONED BYE THE OWNER OF THIS FORUM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ron
PS is the lead in a pencil still made of graphite?
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Derek,
Graphite is primarily used in making steel so if you know anyone who works in the steel industry you might get lucky. It's also used to make brake linings and of course, pencils.

A quick search on the net turned up these guys,

http://www.sulekhab2b.com/viewoffer/com ... mining.htm
I'm ashamed to say I know nothing of Turkey so I don't know if the above link is of any use to you.

I also found I can get 35g of Graphite locally for under $10 Aus. That makes it about $25 - $30 Aus to do a Kayak. There may be better options & I'll look fairly soon as I'll need some myself.

If worst comes to worst & you can't get it locally, how would you go if one of us posted some to you & marked it as plastic forks or rubber dog poo or something equally uninteresting to customs.
Would it get to you with less hassles?
If it came down to it, I'm sure I could post it to you & you can pay by donating the cost to a worthy charity in Turkey.
Good luck & let me know if you hit a brick wall. We'll get you hooked up somehow.

Al
Derek Bowen

Post by Derek Bowen »

First class mate, İ really appreaciate the offer.(even if İ cant spell it). As it happens, there is a charity i,d like to donate too. İts called the customs officer euthenasia project. İf İ really get stuck we,ll go that route and both generate some good karma. İ sent am E-mail to the company in that link. Now its wait and see time. İn my experiance in Turkey they wont bother with it cos İ only want 1kg. My wife works in the local Uni art department and the pencil lead story struck a bell there. Charcoal sticks for black n white sketching come in various sizes and İ doubt that its acctualy charcoal. İf its graphite it should be available in an art supply shop. She is on the case this afternoon.
Thanks again mate, you,ve renewed my faith in humanity which was failing since İ just got back from İstanbull where İ paid 150 English pounds in paperwork charges and bribes to get my Xmas present out of there sticky fingers.
Bomshankar.