Canoe Beach Cart

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
Wimperdink
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Canoe Beach Cart

Post by Wimperdink »

I styled this after a set of free plans I found online, but I changed things around to simplify it and make it easier to build. This cart is designed to strap on to one end of your canoe, (designed for flat bottom pirogue Easy changes to fit a real canoe) so you can roll it down a rocky beach and not hurt the bottom side of your boat.

Its made entirely from 1/2" pvc, 5/8" steel threaded rod, and foam pipe insulation. This cart, the way I have it set up weighs in at a heavy 13 lbs which isn't something you want to add to your day of paddling, but I went with much heavier wheels than it needed because I have other plans for this cart in the future. You could easily knock 7 to 10 lbs off by going with light weight wheels which would suffice to just get you down the beach with your craft.

All the hardware except the wheels came in at an easy to stomach $16. Add the cost of your choice of wheels for a very inexpensive canoe dolly.

I make stuff up!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Looks nice, Wimperdink. May I offer a suggestion?

Grease the wheel bearings and rod ends with an anti-seize compound. This can be made easily by mixing common gun grease or thick oil (SAE 120)with powdered graphite. It will help prevent corrosion of the threads on the ends of hte rod, and lube your bearings. Could even make "hub caps" with some wraps of duct tape over the rod ends to protect them some too.

You're right, a light weight, plastic wheel would suffice for short trips. I'm curious about what other project you have in mind for this little boat cart?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Wimperdink

Post by Wimperdink »

Thats a good idea with the graphite. I know you can buy a graphite lubricant from auto parts stores and its horrible to get off your fingers. Good idea.

As for the other project, I'll show you if it ever comes about but I'm thinking moped pirogue trailer since I live only 3/4 of a mile from the lake. It doesnt have to exceed probably about 20 mph and only 3/4 of a mile at a time. :shock:

One more thing. I was considering the flexibility of this design to fit the bottom of a canoe. What I came up with is, while shopping for other things I found these kayak car top foam blocks. They are designed to fit over the luggage rack cross bars on your car to prevent damage to your car or boat. They have a V shape cut out for the bottom of a kayak but would be easy to modify to set on this little cart. The bottom of your canoe or kayak would sit level while on the cart. They are as low as $10 if you shop around.

I make stuff up!