Perfect Plate Curve Cutting - Everytime

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
Flump
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Perfect Plate Curve Cutting - Everytime

Post by Flump »

Just thought I'd pass on a quick tip/trick to anyone with a router. This allows anyone to cut the perfect curve everytime. Once all of the plate lines are lofted onto the plywood, roughly cut out the plates making sure not to cut beyond the lines :wink: .

Then get a 3/4" x 3/4" or 1/2" x 1/2" timber square around 8' long and tack it with fine nails (or staple) to the plywood along the plate curve. This should get you around half a plate cut in one go.

Next, put one of these
into the router and set the roller to run on the timber square and begin trimming the plate 8) :D . Easy!

When you come to move the timber for the next cut, just make sure that there is at least a foot of overlap into the section you've just cut to ensure that you keep to the correct line.

Hope this makes life a little easier for someone as I have found it far easier (and far more accurate) than trimming down using a plane :D

Cheers......Nick

PS: If anyone needs a sketch, just shout :D . Oh and remember to fill in the holes made by the nails/staples at some point!
Build and paddle your own kayak - it doesn't get much better than that!
Flump
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Flump »

OK, I've been asked for a couple of sketches so here they are. The first one is a plan view showing where to place the timber on the ply, the second is a cross section through the top edge about to be cut.

See next post (hopefully this will work properly)

Cheers.......Nick
Last edited by Flump on Thu May 24, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flump

Post by Flump »

LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

tanks for tat pitcher!

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Pictures really are worth a thousand words! Being from a state so close to Misery, I mean Missouri, I'm constantly muttering my Southern nieghbors' moniker, "Show Me". Good detail, thanks!

Lee the "Hairytick"
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.