WADEFISH UPGRADES

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

WADEFISH UPGRADES

Post by Bemm 52 »

As stated in my Wadefish build thread myself and the Bride had some issues with scuppers being below waterline when aboard :(

Its not detrimental to boat safety but bloody annoying with all the water slooshing around your feet :shock:

I'm looking for a simple cure that doesn't involve major surgery............I know that every once in a while we are going to cop a wave over the bow and it will soak you no matter how good your scuppers are..........this is not my issue.............Im looking for a dry boat in normal conditions as I enjoy with my Sabalo 8)

As its paddling season now (spring) my first attempt at cure is going to be quick .............don't say scupper plugs :roll: ........I,m going to build what you might call a dam.

Playing field :lol: :lol:

Dam wall

Probable position angled forward

I'll hang off filleting it in for a few days to see what people think............greater minds than mine out there :oops:

Couldn't resist this one ..............sweet lines 8) :lol: :lol:
Ossie Bruce
Type of boat I like: OKWATA.

Re: WADEFISH UPGRADES

Post by Ossie Bruce »

Hi Bemm,
Any chance of installing a false floor with a fast taper at the scuppers. :!:

Bruce
Ossie Bruce OKWATA Wet at last
North Queensland
Australia
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

Ossie Bruce wrote:Hi Bemm,
Any chance of installing a false floor with a fast taper at the scuppers. :!:

Bruce
Do you mean some kind of dropin thing?
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Hi Bemm

As you know Im looking seriously at the Wadefish.

If you fit your "Dam" & the get water in the cockpit side of it how do you then plan to let it down to the scuppers??

Pete
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

PiratePete wrote:Hi Bemm

As you know Im looking seriously at the Wadefish.

If you fit your "Dam" & the get water in the cockpit side of it how do you then plan to let it down to the scuppers??

Pete
Good point.........in the event of a big dunking a lot of the water should flow back over the dam and back out ................thus making the boat stable and safe again.................then I guess its a sponge routine when the times right.

hopefully in "normal" conditions dam should keep water on scupper side time will tell :shock: :lol: :lol:
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Could you just extend the scupper tubes up a little higher with a tube that slides in and is removable to allow drainage in case of a larger wave crashing over the side? If it slides inside, you could drill a hole in the side of the tube that would normally be below the floor inside the existing scupper tube. Then, when needed, it could be pulled up a little exposing the hole at foot well level allowing the remaining water to drain.

Of course this would mean having to find a tube with the outer diameter the same as the inner diameter of your existing scuppers.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

You could always use silicon caulk to hold the dam you made in place for this paddling season to see how it works. Then, it would be easier to remove if you want to try another solution. That is how I install the bulkheads in my stripper kayaks. They have been holding (and water tight) for years.

I like the false floor with a steep angle right before the scuppers idea. More work, but I think that you could blend it with the original floor by starting it at the seam where the two panels come together. To save weight, you could cut out pieces of the original floor.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

craiggamesh wrote:Could you just extend the scupper tubes up a little higher with a tube that slides in and is removable to allow drainage in case of a larger wave crashing over the side? If it slides inside, you could drill a hole in the side of the tube that would normally be below the floor inside the existing scupper tube. Then, when needed, it could be pulled up a little exposing the hole at foot well level allowing the remaining water to drain.

Of course this would mean having to find a tube with the outer diameter the same as the inner diameter of your existing scuppers.
Yes I considered this one tubes would have to fit tightly to stop water ingress.

In the off season I'm gonna raise tankwell floor to make it dryer

Had a few PM's suggesting raising cockpit floor about 1"to 2" (probably needs 2") but I'm concerned about stability issues................ maybe OK

Maybe Matt could calk some thing when hes not busy to see what effect this would have.

No rush won't be doing anything major for 6mths
Ossie Bruce
Type of boat I like: OKWATA.

Post by Ossie Bruce »

Hi Bemm
Yes, I was thinking a temp drop in floor to see how it would work, it would just be higher at the low end and then taper into the scuppers,where you have your dam? water would drain just as planed and an easy fix when you have time :idea:
Bruce
Ossie Bruce OKWATA Wet at last
North Queensland
Australia
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Ossie Bruce wrote:Hi Bemm
Yes, I was thinking a temp drop in floor to see how it would work, it would just be higher at the low end and then taper into the scuppers,where you have your dam? water would drain just as planed and an easy fix when you have time :idea:
Bruce
hhhhhhhhhhhhm. I'll ponder this one :roll: 8) :lol: :lol:

Main thing get right for SWMBO ASP :shock: :shock: