JEM Watercraft
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/

reduced stitching to okwata
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3154
Page 1 of 2

Author:  cridgie down under [ Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:34 am ]
Post subject:  reduced stitching to okwata

Hi my wife asked me could i fix a clip on an ear ring that had come apart , so i got out my glue gun and while i was waiting for it to heat up, i thought maybe i could use the gun to eliminate some stitch holes ,so i spaced my stitches further apart ,then where ever needed i put a small glob and held it in place until the glue was hard enough to do the next spot.i put the " globs on the inside and also on all the bulkheads temps and permo's, After i finished my filleting i then reheated the gun with no glue loaded, and reactivated the glue .and scraped it off.I could probably left it in place ,I reckon i saved at least 80 stitches which equates to 160 drill holes.
My wife Margie gets from me the YAY for the day :lol: :D

Author:  Phishtech [ Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: reduced stitching to okwata

That's a great, time saving idea, and would work a treat for the looks of the deck. Did you put the hot glue on before or after you did the saturation coat? Thanks

Author:  cridgie down under [ Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: reduced stitching to okwata

HI i have not done my top yet and i put masking tape on prior to using the heat glue gun.i saturated my hull section after clean up .Next time for the deck i wont use as much glue ,a drop only where ever needed is all that is required.i would suggest you trial a couple of scrap pieces of ply ,you will be amazed how strong a small drop is and how well. it cleans up leaving no marks to spoil the final finish, and less drill holes

Author:  cridgie down under [ Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: reduced stitching to okwata

Finished all stitching today and i reckon i saved close to 300 drill holes by "spot welding' with the hot glue process .my deck had only 25 wire stitches and most of them were around the ends and cock pit area.has any one used this method before as i will certainly do my future builds more on a "tack glue "method with as little wire stitches as possible
regards cridgie down under

Author:  Oldsparkey [ Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: reduced stitching to okwata

I did the same in one kayak I made. Used the hot glue to hold the stanchions ( frame ) in it so I could attach the panels. Did not try it on the panels went with the wire to hold them.

Chuck.

Author:  LEE SCHNEIDERMANN [ Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: reduced stitching to okwata

My only concern would be "residue" left, that might prevent saturation of the epoxy to "bite" into the areas where the hot glue had been.
Any thoughts Matt?

Author:  jem [ Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: reduced stitching to okwata

It's always a concern but a light scrubbing with some acetone and light sanding should address that.

Author:  cridgie down under [ Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: reduced stitching to okwata

Matts right on the money.The main"glob"is easily removed ,i then made a small saw/knife out of a hacksaw blade and cut through the residue between panels which removed 95% of the glue then i wiped balance off with acetone, this was all done of course after filleting

Author:  Jacko [ Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: reduced stitching to okwata

Might give this a go tomorrow on some scrap bits, before I try it on the decks of the Cobia, but sounds like a great idea. The less holes the better ;-)

Author:  Bemm 52 [ Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: reduced stitching to okwata

Another outside the square Jem builder idea and hint...............................Good one :D

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/