Mixing small batches of Epoxy

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
Whirly
Type of boat I like: 18-36 Trapper

Mixing small batches of Epoxy

Post by Whirly »

If this has already been mentioned, then disregard. If not, I found this helpful for small jobs.

As I don’t have a pump dispenser, I’ve made use of Matt’s plastic cups idea for resin mixing for a lot of my build so far. I marked a few cups with different Hardener/Resin levels for different size batches. However, making very small batches for little jobs was beyond the cup method and I found out very quickly how it could be easy to waste a lot of resin. :?

For small jobs I got a hold of some disposable plastic syringes. They do the job. One used for hardener and another for resin. So they don’t get confused, I use two sizes, a 3mm and a 12mm (or you could just mark them if they are the same size).
When I want to make up a small batch of glue/putty to fill some small cracks for example, I’ll draw (using 4:1), let’s say 2mm of hardener with the small syringe and then 8mm of resin with the larger, (or 1mm & 4mm, or 3 & 12, or 5 & 20, etc, etc) mix in a cup, add wood flour and fill the gaps/cracks.

You can draw direct from the containers, or pour a little resin and hardener into separate cups and draw from them, mixing in a third, then pour the excess back into the containers when finished.

The resin syringe is fine to continually re-use, but the hardener syringe (I found) gets a bit crusty after a bit and needs wiping down, or just tossing out and a new one used.

Cheers,
Whirly
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Mixing small batches of Epoxy

Post by jem »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=721

similar concept
-Matt. Designer.
Whirly
Type of boat I like: 18-36 Trapper

Post by Whirly »

Yeah Matt, I sorta mentioned that near the start Matt’s plastic cups idea for resin mixing
This was for smaller quantities of Epoxy, patchup jobs and such............
David Kopera
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by David Kopera »

I have found that beauty supply shops have a small plastic beaker that is used for mixing hair dye. It has both ml and oz markings. If you keep it clean, it last quite a while. :D
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I use these. The smallest batch I can make is 15 ml, though. They are relatively cheap. About $5 for 100 of them. I reuse them many times before pitching them. You can get them from Tap Plastics or drugstores.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I am cheaper yet :roll:
I go to the dollar store and buy a set of measuring spoons , there a slick plastic so clean up well . One bucko and you can get some really small amounts that way.
Ron
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

tx river rat wrote:I am cheaper yet :roll:
I go to the dollar store and buy a set of measuring spoons , there a slick plastic so clean up well . One bucko and you can get some really small amounts that way.
Ron
Great idea. I may have to grab some tomorrow :wink:
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I use the plastic spoons you get at the grocery store for picnics. Using a two to one mix it is easy to do.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler