Stalker Square Back

Builder show and discuss their progress.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

Like Jack I am a little "clamp challenged" too, as you can see with the makeshift PVC clamps. They actually work fairly well in conjunction with the spring clamps. The challenge I have now is how the heck am I going to clamp the outer gunwale with this deck attached? I could use screws but I don't want too. I have the strap clamps and I am going to probably use them unless someone has a better idea.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

I'd first try securing the out wale at the center of the boat with a temporary tack or screw. Then, if you have some tie-down straps, I'd wrap one around the boat a few feet from the center of the boat (say, nearer the bow) and cinch it down. The next strap should go toward the stern. Alternate straps in that fashion until you run out of boat to strap down.

If you don't have straps, use a rope and a Spanish windlass. Simply wrap a rope around the boat, tie a square knot so the rope is loose around the boat, put a stick (paint mixer, half a yard stick, branch off a tree, etc.) into the ends of the rope and twist. When you have it tight enough to hold the out wale securely in place with no slippage, secure one end of the stick. Tucking it under, or taping it to one side of the rope works nicely. You now have w working tourniquet around your boat.

Be sure you have saran wrap or waxed paper between the boat and the straps or ropes to keep them from becoming a permanent part of the boat. Remove the temporary tack or screw before the glue sets up. Wipe off any excess glue that squeezes out while it's still wet.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
surfman

Post by surfman »

Thanks Jack, I have enough clamps for most of the boat I just don't have any way to clamp the front part where the deck is. The tourniquet idea is good one and can supplement the 2 strap clamps if need be. I may resort to some small finishing nails just to help hold things in place and then remove them after the glue sets. Thanks.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Heya Surfman,

Why not just dock your outer gunnwale so that it finishes flush with the back of the deck?

The deck will hold the sides in place from that edge forward
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
surfman

Post by surfman »

I know it is not necessary to run it all the way up to the bow but I think it will look better.
surfman

Post by surfman »

Okay a little more. I am getting close to getting the gunwales done. Hind site is 20/20 but I wish now I had run the inside gunwale all the way up and then installed the outside gunwale and than laid the deck on top like Mick did. That would have been a lot easier oh well. I am making progress. I had to do some creative clamping to make this work.
In the mean time I did a little work on a push pole. I am using a 2 piece fiberglass painters pole that I got free. I had already glued the two sections together to make the pole one piece and here are some pics of the foot I made for it.
First I cut a slot for the wood and here I am using a test piece to figure out how to get it to fit snuggly into the slot.
I used a hole saw in my drill press without the guide bit to cut a circular groove so that the round part of the pole would fit into the wood. Sorry about the bad quality photo.
I don’t have clamps that will clamp on an angle (would have come in handy for the gunwale SNAFU) but this worked.
Okay all glued up and waiting to cure.
Hopefully will get the gunwales done this week and then I can flip the boat again and finish the bottom. Can’t wait.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Mike,

I really like this boat and your peaked foredeck just seems to tie it all in beautifully. I think as I get through culling my store bought boats, I am going to build something similar.

I would have done something like that to Robins P5 only I was too lazy to try to work out the angles :oops:

Also, I am real interested in this poling caper. It is something that is never done here. I am curious as to the benefiets of poling over paddling
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

hairymick wrote:
Also, I am real interested in this poling caper. It is something that is never done here. I am curious as to the benefiets of poling over paddling
Poling very popular with the sight-fishing crowd. Also a nice way to break up a long paddle and stretch the legs while still moving along.

Some claim it's easier to make their way upstream in moving water as opposed to paddling. Seems to make sense... long as you don't go for a swim. :P
-Matt. Designer.
surfman

Post by surfman »

As far as basic propulsion is concerned I would think that paddling is a better way to go. Poling is usually used by fishermen because you can stand, sometimes on a poling platform which gives you better visibility in the distance for sighting fish or potential good bottom to fish at. I don’t know the history behind it but, I know it has been used by many primitive folks in canoes and such. A pole or long stick is a lot easier to find and use than a paddle. The pole can also be used as an anchor by stabbing the opposite end into the ground, I will put a point on that end, then you tie it off to the boat. The Cajun people use them a lot to get around in the swamps in their pirogues too. I will probably have a paddle on board too. My pole is 14’ long so I could use it in fairly deep water too.

I am getting more excited and am disappointed in my slow progress. I now have the gunwales all glued on and will sand and put a coat of epoxy on them tonight.
Tight Lines, Steve
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

The swamp rats that live in and around the Okefenokee Swamp pole there boats in place of paddling them.
I can understand why , the last time I was in there I did more poling with a canoe paddle then paddling. That was one time I was wishing I had a pole with me.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler