Stalker Square Back

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Surfman,

I think you are stressing needlessly. 1/4 inch ply is very thick for a canoe.

Mate, I would build it as in the plans and then consider if you want more strength. I don't think you will. I am not familiar with the waters you paddle but I am guessing that they will be mostly fairly calm and not much strong run. if this is the case, worst case is that your boat will only bump and scrape over the rocks & oysters etc. and do very little damage in the process. Easy to fix if that happens.

My swamp girl and my pirogue both only have 4mm (5/32?) bottoms and they are more than up to the worst abuse I can put them through.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

Thanks Mick I think you are probably right. 8)
surfman

Post by surfman »

Well I got all the panels spliced together and only had one accident and managed to break one of the panels while I was trying to move it out of the way so that has set me back a little since I had to redo that one. I hope to start assembling the panels next week. That is the part I am looking forward to. More pictures to come.

I notice that my pictures are coming up as red x’s ? Matt do you know why? Thanks.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

hmmm....

Did the web address location of the pictures move? I got this message when I tried opening them up directly:
Sorry, the page you requested was not found

Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a page on Photobucket, try visiting the home page. Also, you may find what you are looking for using the search below.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman

Post by surfman »

I will try a repost maybe they changed something I haven't noticed.

Humm, seemed to be an extra space in the link somehow, oh well, computers can be such a pain sometimes.
surfman

Post by surfman »

Okay, some more progress, a little anyway. I started stitching and boy is it a lot of fun. Really it is. Since I managed to break one of the panels already it is a little dicey when you first start a panel and you are trying to hold it in place and stitch it in at the same time but, now that I think of it I could just used a couple of spring clamps to support each end while I got it started. Well I still have more to do so I will test that.
The spliced up panels.
I need to block the frames yet and went a little farther than I should have with the stitching but I think I am still okay at this point. Image
As I progress I can see the need for some more work in order to make the seams more uniform and I think I will do what I have seen in some of the other posts where a piece of pvc pipe was used to maintain a uniform clamp with the cable ties. I will do that before I get any farther. Thank goodness for the tips on the forum.
This is not going well.
I have thought about how I can make the bow cooperate and I think I will basically try clamping it together using 2 pieces of plywood in order to maintain a straight joint. The bow is definitely becoming the most frustrating part at this point. Bending that first piece was tough with the 1/4 “ ply. I wonder if the epoxy will hold it together prior to adding the glass?

Also, I don’t think I would use the luan again, I spent some time filling in voids and that was not as easy as I thought it would be. The wood is okay but I think next time I will spend the extra money for the better plywood.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

If that's the Home Depot or Lowes Luan, then you do have to bully it a bit to get the bow to cooperate.

From what I can see, a couple extra stitches at the top and bottom of the panels will tame them.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman

Post by surfman »

Yea, the top 2 were not too bad it is that bottom one that is giving me the trouble. I think I will do what Mick did on his.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I agree with Matt, more stitches to "pull the wound together."

I also agree with using the good stuff - Okoume. saves a lot of messing around, and nakes a stronger hull. If strong hulls are important to you.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
surfman

Post by surfman »

Okay, I’m back. I have been working out in the field a lot lately and I don’t really do the computer when I am at home, besides not much has been happening until lately anyway.

I got this far about 2 ½ weeks ago. I wanted to take a picture before I removed all the craft sticks and tie wraps but, forgot and flipped the boat to re-tape the inside and didn’t feel like flipping it again just for the picture so here it is with just the tack welds ready for more filleting. The stern;
The bow, I used Mick’s method of lining up the edges of the ply. That luan did not want to bend easily and gave me a fit but I finally got it together.
Another view, what a mess. It actually turned out fairly well though.
I had trouble with the filleting material wanting to set up on me too fast. I may have been taking too much time but, I only mixed a small amount at a time and still had trouble with it getting thick on me so I grabed this out of the freezer and it helped a lot. In between mixing I would stick it back in the freezer, two would have been better to trade off with.
Just hold it like this.
This is the best sanding block I have ever used, just take a belt sander belt (60 grit) and stretch it over a block of wood.
Saturation coat applied. I am kind of disappointed in the amount of absorption of the epoxy. All I have ever heard is how well the epoxy soaks into the wood. Even the epoxy guy told me that thinning was not necessary. I laid the epoxy on heavy hoping it would all be absorbed but, the next morning it was all set up but still very heavy and will require a lot of sanding. When I do the interior I will cut the epoxy with a little acetone. The temperature was about 68 degrees and I was using the medium set epoxy and it is getting warmer. From the bow.
From the Stern.