This was a long weekend and today was a holiday, so I got some more time in the garage to do some more on the pontoons. Today was my first attempt at tacking and filleting with epoxy and filler.
All I can say is I'm glad I'm using this project to learn on. Firstly I mixed way too much epoxy for my job, then it took heaps of filler to get it to the right consistency, although I think I had it just right, about the consistency of soft mashed potato.
Then came the hard bit. The profile of the hulls is a very deep 'v', so I couldn't line the inside with masking tape as is the usual way. Instead I used packing tape on the outside and tacked it from the inside. Even then it was not easy, I could only just get my finger down far enough to be able to squeeze the mixture into the gap. The first few had me with epoxy mixture all over the place. I couldn't work out how to get the glue down right into the gap, so I used my cooking experience. I got a 'glad' plastic storage bag, snipped off the corner to leave a small openning and scooped enough of the goop into the bag to let me pipe it into the join. After the first few I got the knack, but it still wasn't real pretty.
Anyway I finally got it done and it doesn't look too bad. The nights are quite cold now where I live, so I brought the job inside to cure overnight.
The real fun is going to be creating a nice fillet along the inside of the seam, but I think it will be ok, appart from having to use a bit more epoxy than would be ideal. (At least it will be strong!)
You can notice the clear packing tape on the outside. At least the outside will be neat.
I filleted over the plastic glue I used to tack the bulkhead in place. Not a problem. This could save me time with my Sobalo build.
Looks easier to get down into there than it is.