dangermouse01 builds a Wadefish 2.0

Builder show and discuss their progress.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

OK, I am making a change
Now before Chuck jumps in with the "told ya so" & "yep, it was only a matter of time" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is a very subtle change, if I didn't mention it, more than likely nobody would have noticed. It doesn't affect the performance, shape or function of the boat. Pretty much just a cosmetic change.
And yes, I ran it by Matt and he was OK with it, even said it was OK with him if I posted about it.8)

This is a mock-up of the original fore deck to cockpit to cockpit top.
From inside the cockpit.
From outside the cockpit.
What I did was to make two of these.
Just a long 27 inch by 3/4 in triangle (Matt can give you "real' dimensions, the 3/4 should probably be 5/8, and because there is a little curve to it) that I am going to join to the top of the existing cockpit side wall, one on each side.
Like this. They are a little high right now, but I will run a sanding block along the top edge once they are epoxied on to get them to the right height..
It will get the fiberglass cloth on both sides along with the rest of the cockpit, but it will be a fragile joint until I get to that point.
Then the cockpit top and fore deck will meet flush, eliminating that little step. Ignore the packing tape.
I am thinking that the existing pre-cut cockpit deck pieces will still work with maybe some sanding to fit. But if they don't will will make new ones.

Like I said, if I didn't mention it you probably wouldn't have noticed.
Other plans for the weekend, so not much biulding will be going on.

DM
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I would of seen it but ... trust me I would not of said anything , You know how Matt is when you change something little on one of his boats , like cutting off the stern section. That he did notice when I sent him the pictures.

Darn I almost forgot , also lowered the sides a inch or so along the top. I tried to tell him it was the way I took the picture but .... to this day he still does not believe me. :roll: Dang camera.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

Weather has been either rainy or cold for about the last 2 weeks. But I did manage to get the hull panels all built and the fiberglass cloth patches on both sides of the joints.
Spent Saturday and Sunday stitching up the hull got it almost completely stitched together, just need to tied everything together at the bow and stern. For the spacers, I used tongue depressors that I cut in half and then cut a notch in to clear the wire I used for the stitching.

Used MulletKey's tip of using a dowel to pull the side panels flush to any bulkheads. Nice tip.
Ran the blue painters tape along all the edges and then drew a line to giude the stitching holes, it will also keep the hull clean when I apply the fillets.

DM
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Withe those blue racing stripes, and all those space antennae out there, it looks sorta like an atomic sub.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Kayak Jack wrote:Withe those blue racing stripes, and all those space antennae out there, it looks sorta like an atomic sub.
Good point Jack but I think since it looks more to me like a ticked off northern ( frozen , they are blue ya know ) Porcupine ... it might be just a little slow when paddling it.

The up side is no other boat is going to get within 20 feet of it , safety 1st when protecting your boat , good move dangermouse01. Something we never thought of to protect our boats. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Jack ... I sure like some of these ideas the guy's come up with to protect all the work we put into our wood boats. Darn I wounder what will be the next great idea ?????????
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Torpedo tubes?
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Geez Mike, thats looking great mate. I wasn't smart enough to put the making tape on before I stitched up :oops: Bloody great idea mate.

I love the lines of the mark two. That extra volume in the bow should make a world of difference.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

Oldsparkey wrote:.. it might be just a little slow when paddling it.
Actually, it will make it faster. Each spacer stick is percisely located to a very complex mathematical equation ( x's & y's over pi and something about drag coefficients by the square root of something or other and probably a hypotenuse or three) to give it just the right angle so that it will create lift. Yeah, thats it, lift, like a hydro-planing hull, the faster I paddle the more lift, the less hull in the water, the less drag, the faster I can paddle, the more lift, the less hull, less drag the faster I can paddle, the more lift...........eventually the WF 2.0 should fly :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oldsparkey wrote:I sure like some of these ideas the guy's come up with to protect all the work we put into our wood boats. Darn I wounder what will be the next great idea ?????????
I am thinking force field, or a bouy sytem with velvet ropes. Oops, you said great idea. :lol:

DM
Mullet_Key

Post by Mullet_Key »

I had some dowels closer in to the ends in order to pull them in tight. Be sure to have some regular stitches strategically placed to "Cinch-Up" the slack as you draw it in. Without doing so, the wires could snap. I used a level and diagonal measurements to verify the hull aligment was correct and glued up the ends with spot welds.
Pygmy Arctic Tern
JEM Swamp Girl -15
JEM Wadefish 15
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

In the "new idea" line, I'm Googelizing for a flashlight that puts out a tractor beam. Then I can latch onto my buddy just ahead of me, and lean back.

Maybe I'd better get a cloaking device too - just in case he turns around?
Kayak Jack