Sabalo 14

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Pirogue
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Pirogue »

What an exceptional boat. The attention to detail is amazing.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Your pictures are getting me motivated
Whats that smell?
CC TX
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by CC TX »

Installed the remainder of the cockpit floor, glassed the seat, started the cockpit front wall, made rudder support side brackets, and started the storage area behind the seat. http://www.picturetrail.com/tx-kayak
-----
David
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Dare to venture to guess how much this will weigh when completed?
Whats that smell?
CC TX

Post by CC TX »

It is currently at 51 pounds; and I expect that it will probably be in the 60's when completed. However; if I where to build it again, it could easily be 10 to 15 pounds lighter. There is a little excess weight in it due to design changes and this beginner boat builder.
-----
David
CC TX

Post by CC TX »

Started making a paddle, and made progress on the rudder. Also, modified the storage area just behind the seat. I needed more clearance for the seat so I sloped the top front the the storage area.
-----
David
CC TX

Post by CC TX »

Added a couple of seal coats of epoxy and white pigment to the cockpit and tankwell. Also, made a little more progress on the rudder.
-----
David
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

wow! Excellent work on that rudder. I may be bugging you about that later.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi David,

Nice job mate. Are you going to feather the blades on your paddle and are you going to laminate the shaft?

If so, How do you plan to ensure a uniform thickness of the shaft and how are you going to attach the blades please.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
CC TX

Post by CC TX »

Hi Mick,

Yes, I plan to feather the blades. The tang that you see on the blades will go inside of the shaft. I will then add a little more plywood for reinforcement and to fair out the joint. As far as the rest of your questions, I am still working on different alternatives.

One idea for the shaft that I am thinking of is to make a hollow hexagon of plywood strips and then cover with a glass sleeve.

Another option that I may try is to laminate glass and graphite. I will need to find a thin, lightweight core to mold this over. I have thought about using a shatter shield that they put over fluorescent bulbs. It is a little larger diameter than I want; however, I may be able to slit it and shrink it down. I am still looking for other core materials. I have also seen a shaft made this way with a removable core such as pipe or metal tubing. However, I am afraid that if I do this, my pipe may be stuck inside of the shaft that I am making.

I am also considering another alternative for the blade: Laminate two pieces of 3 mm plywood in a curved form.

With the Hobie drive, I will rarely use a paddle. However, for safety sake, I will always take a paddle with me. Ha! If the Hobie drive ever fails me, it could be a long, long paddle back.

To all, Thank you for all of the compliments!
-----
David
cellmate

Post by cellmate »

David please HURRY UP and finish....the water is starting to warm up, and when the fish gets hot, I don't want to have to listen to you cry.