Hairie"s South Wind Build.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Mick

It is looking like a mighty fine boat. I especially like the grain in the wood for the deck , that is pretty.

It is pleasing to see the progress going along at such a rapid rate and I am looking forward to when it is done and you ship it over here to me for a trail paddle. "O" ... You will clean out all of that dust in it before you ship it over here .. I hope. I would hate to get my paddling clothes all dusty :roll: when paddling such a fine looking craft.

As I told you earlier ... I should be able to get it back to you in a few years , 10 or 12 ........ at the earliest.:lol: I am not sure but I might even get Kayak Jack to try it for a few more years .... Just to make sure it is a fun paddling boat and to get his opion on it.

I will be watching the mail and looking forward to the delivery of such a fine paddling craft.

Chuck.
PS..... If Matt behaves himself I might even stop by his place on my way north to Jacks and let Matt look at it ... But only from a distance , you know the way they make folks stand back to look at race cars , collectibles and priceless items.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Chuck has been smoking that gator tail again. :shock:
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

Kayak Jack wrote:Well, Mick, as Crocodile Dundee would say, "Naow THAT'S a boat!"
Yep, I agree. Looks good.

DM
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote:Chuck has been smoking that gator tail again. :shock:
Matt .... "O" ..... Matt , You po misguided soul , You should never , ever , in a million years say anything like that , The answers I could come up with are beyond the numbers that anyone could conceive , think or dream of in this universe.

You might say that door needs to be shut to keep the riff raft out and I will be nice and close it for you since I would dearly hate to wear out this keyboard answering it.

The opportunity of a life time and I pass it up........ QUICK someone COMITTE ME. :oops: Walking out the door just shaking my head an listing to the rattling sounds coming from the inside.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

Wow Mick, that is going to be a realy nice looking kayak. The upper deck sure adds a lot to it. Really nice.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks guys, I reckon this one is a winner. :D

wet out time, :D

First coat, :D :D

Second coat, :D :D :D

Bow Shot :D :D :D :D

Autumn has finally arrived here with beautiful mild, balmy days, and nice cool nights. will be able to get a lot done in the next few days. 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Workin on the coamings. These are not as per the plans but I like this style of coaming better. My boat will be tied upside down on the roof racks and be sitting on the coamings. I just thought these would take the load a little better.

More sanding

Coaming fillet :D

Bow shot :D :D
Regards,
Mick

stevesteve

Post by stevesteve »

Looking very nice Mick, strong too! :D

I have never known anything like building a boat for needing clamps. You'll be in he water soon (on the water I mean of course).
Cheers,
Steve
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Steve,
Thanks mate. :D

Coming together now!! :D :D

Bottom cleaned up ready for the first coat of graphite enriched epoxy :D

Cockpot coaming cleanup :D

Cockpit cleanup :D
Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Bottom is graphited. first coat.:D

Bloody native bees :x

These ae the mounts for a rudder. I installed them before mounting the deck. Much easier to do then than later.

I got a bit adventurous with some paint following Chucks lead with the pin stripe on his lovely Freedom.
Regards,
Mick