Hairie"s South Wind Build.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

My way of getting the stem pieces lined up. :oops:

Tacks cleaned up

Re-bogged.

Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Mick what thickness wood are you using?

The bend on those front panels isn't that tight and they weren't designed to be perfectly flat and straight...although it looks like you did a good job muscling them into position.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

3.5mm thick/

The twist wasn't that hard, just keeping them all lined up in addition to the top tumblehome panel tended to push them apart some.

I found that I can cut poorly aligning tacks with a hacksaw blade so that it cuts on the draw stroke really easy. Could be worth putting in Tips & Tricks.

I ordered more Epoxy yesterday. Will have to wait now till it turns up.

Bit of a cleanup today and that is about as far as I can go now. Back to work tomorrow.
Regards,
Mick

surfman

Post by surfman »

Looking good! I had a real hard time (am having) with the bow of mine as well. I was going to do something similar to what you did. Thanks for the pictures I think that is a good approach as it helps with spacing and keeps the panels lined up too.

If I do another one of these I will definately build some nice horses like the ones Mullet Key built in the tricks forum.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Cleaned up and Epoxy saturation coat on :D :D

The white lines on the seams are flash reflection. :oops:
Regards,
Mick

Wimperdink

Post by Wimperdink »

wow you work fast. Looking good.
I make stuff up!
zeb

Post by zeb »

Great work Mick
Are you using marine ply on this build?
zeb
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Nh, just cheap "blonde" ply.

I have used it on every boat and given them all aweful beatings and they have stood up OK so far. I store them inside but apart from that, I don't really look after them that much and haven't had any problems yet.

Some of my cheap sheets are pretty ugly though. No voids, but patches of what looks like some sort of filler in the outside veneers. I just cut round that stuff, or use it for backing plates etc.

Because I have to get my cheap ply freighted in from Brisbane, I order 10 sheets at a time and they allways sneak in a couple of dodgy ones :lol:

The manufacturer assures me the glue between the laminates is quality water resistant stuff and I believe him. I have had some off-cuts outside in the rain for about 10 days now and there is no sign of delamination yet.

I can get the ten sheets for about the same price as 21/2 sheets of quality Gaboon marine ply. One day I might get real flash and use the good stuff.
Regards,
Mick

stevesteve

Post by stevesteve »

Hi Mick,

That's good to hear. I have been wondering whether I should have splurged and bought the good stuff. I just bought what is described as WBP over here (UK). It means Water and Boil Proof ie exterior grade ply. Why you would want to boil it I don't know but there you are.

You've made lots of pretty boats and seem to have stayed with the open side up, so I'll stop beating myself up.
Cheers,
Steve
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

Looking good Mick! Two thumbs up!

Which end of the boat is down at the band saw end of your shed?

DM