Hairie"s South Wind Build.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi DM,

Primarily a solo boat but the lovely Robin only weighs in at about 48kgs so will be able to double up for day paddles etc. Gonna go with a couble of Matt's sit backers mounted on a basesimilat to Chucks Freedon set up.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Well, Mick, you sly fox. Getting brownie points, getting ..... uhh other stuff too, and fishing too!! You are a lot smarter than Chuckie thought you were.

In fact, you're a lot smarter than Chuckie hissef! He's cooking hotdogs for the guys tearing up his lawn! Old boy's slipping a notch or three.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

hairymick wrote:As a surprise, will be taking her here for a couple of days. Dja reckon there might be a couple of brownie points in it for me? :D :D
http://www.kingfisherbay.com/indexthree.html
I hope there are ALOT of brownie points in it for ya, in one day you managed to give away Robin's age and weight. Hope she doesn't read this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DM
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hope she doesn't read this thread.
so do I :oops:
Regards,
Mick

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Well, Mick, bachelorhood ain't so bad. Better'n if you wife is a widow.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

OK, All panels hull are butt joined, Hull stations are doen and mounted on my strong back.

Will check alignment and measurements again in the morning and start stitching :D :D :D

Regards,
Mick

jheger

Hull Stations

Post by jheger »

Mick:
May be a dumb question but why do you have such big holes in your hull stations?
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Not dumb at all mate. :D

The truth is, I just don't know. :oops: Thought they might double up or be a little easier to find perhaps? :oops:

More likely just another brain fart :oops: I had lots of them yesterday.

It took me 9 hours to set up the strongback and stations and I am still not happy with it. Will go and re-check everything again this morning before I start putting panels on it.

Before I start the next build, I am going to build a decent boat building bench, 18 feet long with a flat and level surface. My strongback is getting way too heavy to lift in and out of the shed and that 9 hours could have been better spent building my boat.
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Looks like you were taking note from some wood strip building techniques. Wood strip builders who don't wish to use staples put those holes in place so they can use clamps and not staples to hold the strips to the forms/stations.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Now I remember ! :D

I just wanted to play with my new Forstner drill bits :oops:
Regards,
Mick