Hairie"s South Wind Build.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Great report Mick.

If you get any more impressions, good or bad, please share. Especially the things you think could be improved. I have a couple of very minor tweaks in mind but want to see what you think after paddler her for a couple weeks.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

I want one. :D

First Blood. :D (Aussie Bass)

Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'dy Matt,

I bloody love this boat.

I am that pumped. I have been working on that review for the last couple hours. It is now 21.40 and I have been going since about 0430 this morning and I am too exited to sleep. This boat is brilliant!

I will get her out off shore in some bigger chop and stuff next week just to see how she goes but I don't think there is any need. I just know she will take it in her stride. This boat just exudes capability the moment you get in her. She has absolutely no bad habits, is completely predictable and is an utter delight to play with. In other words, the perfect woman. :D
Regards,
Mick

Crayman

What a Day

Post by Crayman »

Hi Guys
I was so happy for Mick to see he had finished another project, but would he be happy with it's handling and stability? I watched Mick Launch and he took off like a kd in a candy shop. After a short Burst and a few tight turns Mick turn and looked at me and i don't think i have seen a bigger smile on his face than at that moment. I was in my Osprey buy now and we paddled along toegther. His new toy looked good on the water and seemed to be gliding along very well.
I was expecting it to be a heavey/Log of a boat but in fact it was the opposite. I am use to paddling a Fibre Glass Osprey so i was very suprised to feel how stable this beast was. I had a go with a single blade and it glided very nicely and turned with a minimum amount of effort. What a great boat. To back what Mick said I almost didn't bring it back!!!
I see a very stable fishing platform, Plenty of storage for long trips, as well as plenty of options for day trips with small kids or a friend.
This has really changed my thought on timber designed Kayaks/canoe what a great boat. Well done Mick for a great build and what a great design Matt.
Regards The Crayman
P.S. I never even fell out of this one wich i have done in my Osprey. :oops:
I once thought kayaks had to made from Fibre glass only until i saw some of these plans come to life.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

It is hard , if not almost imposable to fall out of a boat when the epoxy is still tacky. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Oldsparkey wrote:It is hard , if not almost imposable to fall out of a boat when the epoxy is still tacky. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
:mrgreen:
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks Kris and welcome aboard mate.

Guys, let me introduce Crayman to you.

He is work colleague, a good mate and fishing buddy. An all round good bloke. I trust him with my life, and even my beautiful new boat. :D

he also just happens to outfish me on allmost every trip. :lol:
Regards,
Mick

Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

hairymick wrote:Thanks Kris and welcome aboard mate.

he also just happens to outfish me on allmost every trip. :lol:
Mick ... I received your e-mail about Kris out fishing you and your order for three dozed ( Sure fire fish getters ) hand grenades are packed and will be in the mail in the morning.
As I told you , with you using them , there is no way he will get more fish then you do.

If he does then just toss one over in his kayak and paddle like heck.:lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Heya Chuck,

I would be reluctant to throw anything explosive at Kris. He is recent ex-army (engineer) and very capable with ordinance.

To coin a phrase, it would be very likely to blow up in my face. :lol:

Oh yeah, Did I mention that this boat weighs in at 441/2 pounds?

I can throw her up on the roof of my SUV on my own easily. Anywhere out of the wind, I could portage as far as I would ever need to. To carry in the wind is like hanging on to a sail. :lol:
Regards,
Mick

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Nice job, Mick. This design is, as I say, a "swamp to sea" hull. Expedition boat, weekender, day tripper, fisher, even room to play a ukulele to your sweetheart. The progenitor of this boat was found to be fastest with a single blade paddle and a rudder.

I also agree that a shorter version would do the job very well.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.