Muskoka in the Philippines

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Interesting, a gaggle of "engineers" from around the world designing as a loosely knit team.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

You could always do what hairymick suggested here;
http://jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=60
No glueing and no screwing.
Tight Lines, Steve
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Finally got the front and rear decks glued. Some sanding and they're done.

ImageImage

I have a question: Is the rear deck good for sitting on in most situation, enough so I need not put in a rear seat?
Louis
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

should be no problem.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman

Post by surfman »

I don't see any reason why not except that if you are by yourself you may be sitting too far back and the bow will be out of the water.
Tight Lines, Steve
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

that's true. You don't have a square-back type config so you'll need to balance it somehow.
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Thanks guys. Sorry if my reply is late. For some reason I'm not getting notifications.

Its saturday and I'm at the office .. grrr. I did however get in a few hours of building time. I'll have to post pictures tomorrow though. As of today, the Muskoka has been repainted and I'm almost done putting those rails.

I'll probably finish building the back seat for use when paddling solo.

Oops have meeting to attend. Later.
Louis
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Hi guys. Last weekend we did some fishing in a not so far away lake. The wife and I got the chance to paddle the Muskoka quite a bit. Although I have little experience with other canoes, I found the Muskoka easier to paddle than I had thought. It was so easy I even ventured to ask the wife to paddle while I did some trolling :D .... seriously ... of course after casting I take to doing my share. It was easy though.

Stability I found was much much better than I'd thought and that my fears were misplaced (the wife and kids don't know how to swim). Everyone wanted to ride the Muskoka so we were exchanging crew in the middle of the lake ... no problem.

Later a friend of our lent us his 2 hp motor which we tried on the Muskoka. Now that's a fun ride. Mind you the wife was up front so the trim was good. I really have to get me a small hp motor.

I do have one problem though: I found it difficult to keep myself from scraping the side of the boat with the paddle. Could I be sitting wrong?

And oh yeah, I caught a fish!!!!!
Louis
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Heya Louis,

Goodonyamaaaate!!! :D

Sounds like a plan to get the missus and kids taught to swim at least a little mate. oh yeah, and PFDs.

There is nothing like watching a bunch of kids having a ball in a canoe.

Re scraping the paddle on the side of he boat. were you using a kayak double blade or a canoe paddle? Either way, tis only practice mate. :D

Congrats on the fish too - first blood? 8) is that a fork tailed catfish? - fine fish.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

I thought it was a catfish, and eagerly declared it so. Later I was told it was not a catfish, forked tail as you said. Locally it is called called a Kanduli. Sure tasted good.

Thank your for the concern. Actually that was the kids accomplishment on this trip - they learned to kick and stay more or less level with the surface. Love these "first steps". The wife definitely wears a PFD but truth be told I sometimes skip them.

We were using single paddles. Would using double paddles help?
Louis