Gander river

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Graham
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Gander river

Post by Graham »

Started my gander project this month, going well after some tests went for the cheep skate method using polyester resins as these are available locally.

I am aware that in the world of canoe building I have committed the cardinal sin in use of polyester resin. After my initial tests with this material I found that the filling paste with fibres supported by Bi-axel tape gave a semi flexible joint and good adhesion to the ply.
Last edited by Graham on Thu May 03, 2007 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

I have used polyester resin in the past to rebuild an old fiberglass boat that I still have and is working just fine. As long as you use the resin with glass it works fine. Resin alone is no good at all though. Will flake and peel away. If you have wood that you can't apply glass to I would recomend epoxy for those areas although I have never mixed the two in an aplication. good luck and post pics please.
Wimperdink

Post by Wimperdink »

anything you apply epoxy to, you cannot us poly over it. Epoxy sticks to poly, but poly will not stick to dried epoxy. Definitly cover the entire bottom with glass when using poly.

edit: - I was dreaming the other day about having a squareback canoe that the underwater part was still pointed like a normal canoe. Not sure how I missed this one.

Jem can this design be stretched by about another foot or so?
I make stuff up!
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Heya WD

Have a look at Matts Muskoka. :D Might be something similar to what you want.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Muskoka is about the same boat.
-Matt. Designer.
Wimperdink

Post by Wimperdink »

your right. Looks like its time for wimp to peruse the rest of the jem plans again :D I havent perused them in quite some time and now that i've spent a whole week of paddling every day, I'm wanting more & more & more :D
I make stuff up!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

she's looking good.
-Matt. Designer.
Graham

Post by Graham »

[quote="jem"]she's looking good.[/quote]Thanks to you and the other contributors from this site I am now fulfilling a long time ambition thanks again Mat for a great product.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

-Matt. Designer.
Graham

Post by Graham »

[quote="jem"][img]http://jemwatercraft.com/images/prodima ... msby/I.jpg[/img]

[img]http://jemwatercraft.com/images/prodima ... msby/J.jpg[/img]

[img]http://jemwatercraft.com/images/prodima ... msby/K.jpg[/img]

[img]http://jemwatercraft.com/images/prodima ... msby/L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://jemwatercraft.com/images/prodima ... msby/M.jpg[/img][/quote]

thanks to Mat for his great website
first weting of my gander river canoe this week all went well with both paddleing and with my 1957 British seagull outboard
I have discoverd that solo, the seat has to be just behind the thwart ,but with the added outboard the seat needs pushing forward of this
anybody any ideas for seat arangements?
Last edited by Graham on Thu May 24, 2007 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.