Robin's P5

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Robin's P5

Post by hairymick »

Hi guys,

My lovely wife, Robin and I just got back from a paddling vacation. in stead of using a couple of Matts lovely boats, we opted for our very sleek little, store bought TK1s. The main reason for this was that the roof racks on my SUV are not wide enough (yet) for my pirogue and Southwind together.

Long story - short. At the end of the trip, we both had back pain and in one of those throw away remarks I just happened to mention that I NEVER get this pain when using Matts boats in conjunction with Chucks seat base and the sitbacker seat. :twisted:

Surprise, Surprise, Robin has asked me to build her a pirogue. Matt has surplied me with a set of plans 5 panel model with some tumblehome and I am just about to oder the fibre-glass today. :D :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I was going to be nice and not say anything about the boats you were paddling on your vacation...... Which was a good decision on my part , now you can see or feel the difference between purchasing a boat or making one the way you want it ..................

Can I say ....... Custom and comfortable for your enjoyment. :D

Chuck.
PS ... "O" And a lot less in the cost then a already made commercial one.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jheger
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

P5

Post by jheger »

Matt: When will the plans be available for the P5? pirogue
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Chuck,

We wanted to take the pirogue and the South Wind, but with the price of petrol now, we opted to take Robins little Ford. Her roof racks are not big enough to carry both of these boats so we opted for our little TK1s.

They are fine boats but I have been spoilt with Matts boats and hardly ever use my store bought ones anymore.

Got all panels marked, cut out and trimmed today. Robin has been helping me with this one and it has made the whole exersise that much more enjoyable.

I use a power plane to trim down the convex curves. :D

and a power belt sander the same way on the concave curves. Quick, easy and very accurate. :D

Panels stacked ready for stain and butt joining. :D

I have ordered more fibreglass matt today and will be going to Hervey
Bay tomorrow to select some timber for the gunwhales etc.
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: P5

Post by jem »

jheger wrote:Matt: When will the plans be available for the P5? pirogue
To be honest, I hadn't planned on putting them out until Mick's hits the water. So I'm guessing a week or two. :D
-Matt. Designer.
jheger

P5

Post by jheger »

can you release the deminsions on her? width, weight, capacity, length, etc. Thanks
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

Mick.

I noticed you get your clothing from the same store that I do , the comfortable shop. :lol:

Looking at the parts and pieces and wondering , are there any ribs in the boat to set the amount of rocker and add some internal strength or are you using the sides to do that. If that is the case then what is the thickness of the wood you are using ... 1/8 th inch , 3/16ths , 1/4 inch?????

Chuck.
Remember:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Sides set the rocker. Having the ribs do that is a building style that is not my cup of tea. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer to do it with my method.

2 thwarts will be a good idea. Ribs on the sides and bottom are certainly doable if the builders desires.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Guys,

I really think this might be a very nice little boat.

I hve left the drawings down in the shed, but a thumbnail sketch of her is roughly this.

Length, about 14 feet

max bottom width 24 inches

Max beam 29 inches

rocker about an inch fore and aft, I think

Stem height about 11 inches

Midships height about 91/2 inches

Chuck, I am still using 1/8" ply for this one. I had some left from a previous build and seeing it is for Robin, I will be going all out to make it as light as I can. I am trying for about 32 pounds (Too ambitious?)

Re the clothes, I got dressed up for the shot. :lol:

Re Ribs & such, Will see how she pans out, re oil canning etc. will probably put a small keel on her just to help protect the thin bottom. The shape of the sides shoud add enough structural strength, I think.

I am also toying with an idea to try to avoid using thwarts. Just not sure yet.
Regards,
Mick

Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

Mick

With 1/8th inch ply , glassing the boat inside and out you should be able to break the 32 pounds.
I did a Pirogue at 15 1/2 feet and it came out at 32. That included three ribs , inner and outer railing along with two strips of 1 1/2 by 1/4 lattice stripping down the inside on the bottom for additional support.

Chuck.
Remember: