Robin's P5

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Zeb,

Thanks mate. :D

Back to work tomorrow. Should be able to get some more done on Thursday.

got a litle done today.

Outside is glassed, just needs a sand and a top coat now. :D

Inside saturation coat is on.

Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Flump
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Flump »

G'day Mick,

Looks like Matt has designed another beautiful kayak for you mate. Awesome lines, just curious about how a five panel pirogue will look when finished. Just thought I'd log on here to buy a set of the Pirogue plans for my next "project". Was just looking for something reasonably quick to build and couldn't be bothered doing my own plans. Might have to wait and see how this one turns out before I make my mind up :D . Like Matt says, the quarter bow shot looks very nice and kinda of similar to my small 3.4 metre SOT that I finished a couple of weeks back

Now just gotta finish my PDRacer thats been on the go for 8 months :oops:

Cheers........Nick
Build and paddle your own kayak - it doesn't get much better than that!
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Nick,

Nice to here from you again mate.

The more this one takes shape, the better she is looking. The drawings and my piccies don't do the hull form justice.

My touring pirogue is a great little boat to paddle with a surprising turn of speed and glide. I think this one will be even better and with less wind signature.

They are really easy to throw together and I just don't understand why the concept has not caught on out here before this. Everybody who has paddled mine wants it.

Without this boat being even half finished, I believe it will be a winner. Particularly for what Robin wants it for, - lazy paddles round the swamps and creeks, taking photographs of the wild life with room for a solid picnic hamper and cooler onboard. :D even a small barbeque plate :D :D .

And still small and light enough for her to throw on the roof of her little car on her own. :D :D I am aiming for about 32 pounds.
Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi guys,

Got a bit more done today.

Inside seams are filleted.

Outer gunwhale is cut, trimmed on the bottom outside and is on.

What has worked for me, is to dry-fit the gunwhale, mark it, then take them off and trim to size and then run along the outside bottom corner with an 8mm (5/16") radius, round-over bit in the router. I think the Americans call them quarter-round bits. It is much easier to do this now than later when the gunwhale is on the boat. :D

Regards,
Mick

Flump

Post by Flump »

Holy Dooley Mick, looks like you've been buying out Supercheap again :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: !!! I'm off to buy some shares :lol: :wink: . Think I'm up to about 50 clamps now too :D .

Cheers.....Nick
Build and paddle your own kayak - it doesn't get much better than that!
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

LOL,

G'day Nick.

There is some pretty serious edge bend on the gunwhales on this one. I am only using 12mm X 42mm fingerjointed pine (because it is cheap) :oops: I could have easily used another dozen or so small screw clamps.
Regards,
Mick

Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

No matter how many clamps you have you are always short a few of them , my shop is clamp central and , believe it or not , I could use MORE.

Every time I build a boat , I am off to the store for more of them or some different form (style) of them. I have even resorted to using close pins from our solar drying ( clothes lines) in the back yard ( much to my wifes disapproval) at times. :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Chuck,

Mate, I've got 64 of those spring clamps and I reckon I could use about 30 or so more.

Befpre the next build, I will have them plus about another dozen or so small "G" clamps.
That sure is neat work Mick ... something for me to aspire to. I see you have also pre-drilled the holes for stitching to the molds - Matt you should put that step in your instructions or did I miss that. Anyway, I think I learned a little more here .. thanks.
Hi Louis, Thanks mate. :D

sorry about the late reply,. i completely missed your post. :oops:

As Chuck says, You need to think and plan about 5 steps ahead of the one you are working on. That way, there is nearly allways something else you can be doing while you are waiting for your epoxy to set up.

Each build gets a little easier and better than the one before it and every builder comes up with new ways of doing things.

I think it is by posting the build stories here, we can help other builders, while, at the same time learn new tricks. In this way, the whole process is evolving and we are achieving better boats. :D - and better ways of building them. :D :D
Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

got a bit more done this morning.

Went down to the shed and with the cooler weather, my fillets had not properly cured overnight. They were hard, but not hard enough to sand without clogging up the paper.

I put her out in the sun for a couple of hours and finally could sand well enough to get the glass in.

here we go. :D

Glass wet out. (I hate this part)

There were a few places where, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the matt to lay flat. :x

As soon as it sets up this afternoon, I will get stuck into it with a scraper and fix up the ugly bits.
Regards,
Mick

LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

beautie Mick! Just bloody lovely that one!
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.