Robin's P5

Builder show and discuss their progress.
stevesteve
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by stevesteve »

Bonzer boat again Mick.

Is there any truth to the rumour that you have bought one clamp each time you have built a boat/ :D
Glass wet out. (I hate this part)
Bearing in mind that you seem to buid one a week it does my heart good to hear you say that Mick... not just me finding it tricky then?
Cheers,
Steve
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day blokes, :D

Thanks fellers.

If Robin doesn't like paddling this one, I'll paint it green and keep it myself. Again, My piccies don't do the hull justice.
Bearing in mind that you seem to buid one a week it does my heart good to hear you say that Mick... not just me finding it tricky then?

:lol: No matter, what I try, or how careful I am, I ALLWAYS end up with some resin runs and some matting overlap :x Not only that, I find wetting out the inside really intense, just trying to get rid of all of those bloody white spots is enough to drive a bloke to

Oh well, its 5 O'clock somewhere in the world, I guess. :P

I find one of these :D A carbide draw stroke scraper.

worth their weight in gold for rough buggers like me.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

hairymick wrote: Glass wet out. (I hate this part)

Mick, I dont think anybody particularly enjoys glassing the inside of a boat. Some thing about making glass go up a vertical surface and stay there :twisted:

Remember Javier's rant after he glassed the inside of his Merrimac about how none of warned him how much fun it would be.
hairymick wrote: I find one of these A carbide draw stroke scraper.
worth their weight in gold for rough buggers like me.
I agree on that, my favorite tool.

Looking good!

DM
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I'm a "clamp challenged" fellow. I have ten (10) C clamps and don't intend to buy any more. Course, I've built only four boats, so I'm still a greenhorn around these parts.

C clamps are too mechanically complex for me to operate. Too many moving parts. And, I'm too old and feeble to compress those powerful spring clamps. What's a feller to do?

Maybe a Spanish windlass. I've used a part of a yardstick (meter stick to some) spread across the inside of the hull to hold inwhales (innles?) in whilst glue was setting. If there was too much glue, I just had interesting thwarts.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi jack, Clamps are like boats mate. You can never have too many. :D

Done a fair bit of work these past couple of days but I haven't got much to show. I seem to have hit another wall. No problems with the build, I just seem to be running round in circles and not getting very much done.

The gunnwales and spacers are on but I turned her over and started on the bottom before I remembered to take some piccies. If my Graphite sets up tonight, will get some piccies tomorrow.

I installed a very shallow keel on this one. 12mm X 42mm. I don't think it is necessary but tracking is all imporant to Robin and it will serve as a rubbing strip of sorts to protect the glass when she runs up on the sand/gravel etc. She is not gentle on her boats.

First two coats of graphite enriched epoxy are on the bottom. i will put another one on tonight before I go to bed.

Regards,
Mick

tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Looking good Hairy
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Mick....

You have an anchor dragging , looking at the picture all I could count were 9 boats in there. :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Chuck,

Still getting rid of my store bought boats. :D

Bit more done today.

Gunnwales are on and cleaned up. (sort of) :oops:

Decks are on. They need a fair bit more work yet.

Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

She's allmost done!! :D One more coat of resin on the decks and a bit of a tidy up here and there is all.

I have made the decks 36 and 30 inches long and incorporated a support into an end thwarte at each end. I did this to try to avoid putting a thwarte in the middle of the boat. I tested it today and the sides are rock solid.

Will wait for a test paddle to confirm if my idea does the job.

Bloody women! Robin allways intended to paint the outside of this one - purple. She came down to the shed and saw the P5 nice and shiney and is now thinking of leaving the woodgrain exposed. I should have known.

Anyway, because she was going to paint the outside, I didn't worry about cleaning up the pencil marks. Nevermind she will have to learn to live with them. :twisted:

Decks cleaned up.

Deck support / end thwarte. I rebated the timber to hide the end grain of the ply. This gives the illusion that the deck support is much smaller than it really is. :twisted:

Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

:D :D

:twisted: :twisted:

Regards,
Mick